PDA

View Full Version : "Car wash frills may leave you hosed"

velobard
03-13-2006, 07:25 AM
Found this article in my local paper.

http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060313/LIFE/603130303/1093

I love some of the quotes here,

"Automatic car washes have grown tremendously because educated people know that it takes 100 gallons of water to wash it in the driveway and 16 gallons at the car wash"

and

"As far as I`m concerned, you might as well pour a gallon of milk over your car. The new paint and clear coats on cars now don`t even need to be waxed," says car wash owner Kent Acheson of Des Moines.

He suggests buying a mild rubbing compound made for cars at any auto parts or discount store and using that in place of wax, simply for cleaning off difficult dirt and spots.

Yeah, that`s it. Run right down to the discount store, buy TW rubbing compound and use that in place of wax!

:lol

BobD
03-13-2006, 07:29 AM
The car wash industry has been on a rampage the last few months. It all started with Nissan claiming that car washes cause scratching.

AutoCadillac
03-13-2006, 07:35 AM
So, does he recommend applying that milk by hand or with a PC?

BobD
03-13-2006, 07:37 AM
So, does he recommend applying that milk by hand or with a PC?

PC and hand application causes swirls. They recommend you pour the milk over your car and then drive ith through the car was several times.

velobard
03-13-2006, 07:46 AM
There`s a link above the title of the article that allows you to send comments. I`m gonna send a note about using one gallon to wash my full-sized car with QEW.

If anyone else decides to send anything, please be respectful.

PS I just noticed this article is a reprint from the Des Moines Register.

chml17l
03-13-2006, 08:16 AM
I prefer Holstein to Jersey milk when used as a topper because the Holstein has a higher butterfat content.

doged
03-13-2006, 09:22 AM
Found this article in my local paper.

http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060313/LIFE/603130303/1093

I love some of the quotes here,

and

Yeah, that`s it. Run right down to the discount store, buy TW rubbing compound and use that in place of wax!

:lol

Also Quoted "He suggests buying a mild rubbing compound made for cars at any auto parts or discount store and using that in place of wax, simply for cleaning off difficult dirt and spots".

They forgot to mention prior to a tunnel pressure wash, most use a pre scrub(dirty brush)

In my Ford Explorer operating manual it says, “ Some automatic car washes may cause damage to the finish on your wheel rims.â€

ncsu602
03-13-2006, 09:42 AM
Wow, and I thought I had learned so much from this website. Now I`ve gotta start all over again!

I bet that rubbing compound will look great on my BLACK car. I think I`ve even got some red shop rags laying around on the workbench (next to the grinder) to apply it with. :lol

topnotchtouch
03-13-2006, 09:52 AM
Where did they get their numbers? I just can`t imagine someone using 100 gallons of water to wash a car. I guess it would be possible if you don`t use any kind of sprayer letting the water run the entire time. Even during my pre-Autopia days I seriously doubt I even used 16 gallons of water and I know for sure I use much less than that now...

Louie
03-13-2006, 10:03 AM
Where did they get their numbers? I just can`t imagine someone using 100 gallons of water to wash a car. I guess it would be possible if you don`t use any kind of sprayer letting the water run the entire time. Even during my pre-Autopia days I seriously doubt I even used 16 gallons of water and I know for sure I use much less than that now...

It takes about a minute to fill a 5-gallon bucket by hose, I`m thinking 20 minutes without a nozzle = 100 gallons. I`m with you, I don`t think I use 16 gallons doing mine by hand. Think about all the gas wasted and emissions generated by cars driving to the car wash and idling in line. Throw on top of that the power needed to run a car wash and hand washing seems a bit more environmentally friendly.

topnotchtouch
03-13-2006, 10:12 AM
It takes about a minute to fill a 5-gallon bucket by hose, I`m thinking 20 minutes without a nozzle = 100 gallons.

Not where I live :D I can start the hose on full blast, go inside and upstairs to get my supplies, come back down and wait another 5 minutes before that bucket is full :angry

There is a new water tower going up near where we live so hopefully our pressure goes back up soon.

White95Max
03-13-2006, 11:14 AM
I hate when people spread terrible information about detailing, and even moreso when it`s the media doing it.

imported_GregCavi
03-13-2006, 11:37 AM
I sent a very lengthy analysis of the article to them. Telling the real truth. I hope I get a response back!

Greg

White95Max
03-13-2006, 11:44 AM
I hope so too, and please post the response here if you do get one.

velobard
03-13-2006, 12:46 PM
I sent a very lengthy analysis of the article to them. Telling the real truth. I hope I get a response back!

Greg

Since I noticed the article was a reprint from the Des Moines Register, you should send your comments to that paper. Apparently it was originally printed there at the end of Feb.

I`d love to see a response too. Unfortnuately, I`m willing to bet they just looked at this as a simple "filler" article to throw in on a slow news day and won`t bother with it.