PDA

View Full Version : SG Vs. EX (P) Revisited

nappyjim
03-12-2006, 01:31 PM
Ok. I did search, found 3 threads, but the 2 most relevant ones were from 2 years ago, so just thought there might be some better info, experience out there now.

Im working with a dark blue/purple car. Im still getting my supplies in order for the big detail. For sure ill be doing wash, clay, aio. But then after that Im still deciding.

I was first going to do SG layered and then s100. Then I was leaning towards SG layered and then Nattys blue. Now Im thinking about doing EX then nattys blue.

Which leads me to my question. What have your experiences been with SG and EX as sealants? From what I gather, SG topped over AIO will provide me better protection, but I hear that SG is more geared towards lighter colors, while EX, topped with nattys will give my blue that deep, wet look.

Also will layering EX provide better results? Finally, can EX be used without a PC?

http://home.comcast.net/~JimAvila/Mazda3/16t.jpg

Wasatch
03-12-2006, 01:40 PM
I would go with the Twins.

DM101
03-12-2006, 01:44 PM
EX, RMG, topped with nattys

DocHoliday
03-12-2006, 02:05 PM
I dont care for EX at all. The only time it really showed what I wanted was after 3 coats, no product should take that long to show a shine.

TheTruth
03-12-2006, 02:10 PM
klasss SG all the way, it`s one of the few products that has true durabilty. I wouldn`t use the cheap Poorboys lineup if you paid me. Using a cheap line of product just means you will be having to wax or use a sealant much more often. Poorboys stuff that has nuba has very poor durabilty and their stuff that doesn`t looks flat IMO. If you don`t mind getting thirty days of durabilty try PB`s stuff, but I don`t care what anyone says nobody, and I mean NOBODY, gets 4 months of durabilty from any of Poorboys stuff. As for the twins, you`ll get 4 months even if you apply it poorly, the stuff lasts and lasts, and has a nice look to it. Even better if you top with p21s!

docker
03-12-2006, 05:06 PM
Klasse AIO, SG x3 (+/-), then topped with DP Max Wax or P21S would be great. Another nice combination for navy or deep royal blue, IMO, would be UPP x3 then topped with either of these waxes.

petp
03-13-2006, 12:13 PM
sorry for the noob question; i keep hearing about RMG as a pre-step before nattys blue. what is RMG?

JaCkaL829
03-13-2006, 12:53 PM
sorry for the noob question; i keep hearing about RMG as a pre-step before nattys blue. what is RMG?

RMG = Clearkote Red Moose Machine Glaze

btw my vote is for the K twins too, didn`t care to much for the EXs.

Prometheus
03-13-2006, 01:09 PM
I guess I`ll be one of the few dissenters at this point. I really like the way EX looks on dark colors, especially when topped with Natty`s Blue. I dont know about that specific color as I have never detailed anything closer to it than a medium blue.

I have personally gotten an entire Michigan winter out of 2 layers of EX with meg`s 16 on top. I`m sure some of it was the 16 and some was the EX, but from October to April isn`t bad for any product, period. Pic below is of EX 2x and 16 on top done last summer. If you already have one or the other, try it and see how it works. If you don`t have either, well, I guess take a gamble. Sorry I couldn`t be of more help.

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/16146100_0030sm.jpg