PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars scratch x, some important questions

maxima2k2
03-11-2006, 08:38 AM
i have tons of water spots, bird etchings and swirls on the hood of my maxima. So i decided to buy scratch x and give that a try. This is how i applied it...first i wash the hood and dried it, then i applied some scratch x on the areas with white foam applicator pad, i went it circular motions and straight line motions until there was none left and applied more applications on the spot. I applied at least five coats and it removed most of the swirls but all the bird etchings and water spots are still there. before applying this, i couldn`t feel the etched water spots, but now i can feel them when i rub my fingers over them, feels like a bump. should i keep applying more until i the spots are completely gone or try and clay it to remove the spot? is it bad if many applications are applied in one area? is there any way to make the clear coat uneven by applying a little in some areas and alot in others? about how many applications can be used to completely remove the clear coat? i used about 5 max on some areas and 2 on others, i may go back to apply more to try and remove the water and bird etchings. :hm

Big Leegr
03-11-2006, 09:36 AM
For the water spots, try some vinegar. blot it on, let it dwell a bit, then try rinsing/rubbing it off. You may have mineral deposits that are resisting ScratchX, but may dissolve from the vinegar.

You might also try clay.

Bird etchings are probably a bit too deep to fix all by hand.

Just some thoughts.

imported_connell
03-11-2006, 04:10 PM
From what I`ve read on the meguiar`s forums it often takes multiple applications of ScratchX to get the desired effect. You can keep applying it until the defect is gone. Also I read that a microfiber towel will have more `bite` that the foam, so if you use one (or terry towel) it might go faster. ScratchX is pretty mild so Average Joe doesn`t buff off all his paint trying to take off some bird do stains. There are some pretty nice pictures on the meguiar`s forum of how things get cleaned up after multiple applications. "Have patience, and if at first you don`t succeed, try try again." - from the meguiar`s forum

ABS
03-12-2006, 10:16 AM
don`t know if this will help you somewhat...

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7011