PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive clay lubricant???`

Neo62381
03-11-2006, 05:16 AM
While claying, I`ve been using PB`s S&W as lube. I got to thinking, "This could get expensive!" I really like to use a lot of lube when I clay, to avoid getting any deep scratches. I`ve heard a lot about people using thierwash solution as lube, but I feel like this wouldn`t sypply enough lubrication. Am I wrong? Should I try it? If I`m right, then what is a good clay lube for a VERY reasonable price? Also, is there a way to mix up something yourself to use as clay lube? Open for a healthy discussion. :wavey

imported_steveo3002
03-11-2006, 05:21 AM
yeah i use soapy water...mix it stronger than you would for regular washing

Mr.Concours
03-11-2006, 06:30 AM
I sometimes just wash the car twice; the second time around just clay before I rinse.

Although it might be hard for someone in a warmer climate to do before the wash solution evaporates,so a pre-mixed solution in a sprayer would be the way to go.

I clay every Month so my paints pretty clean already,from what I`ve read here some clays seem to break up when used with shampoo as a lube, but in my (limited) experience with only a couple of brands of clay its not happened to me yet.

charger17
03-11-2006, 07:41 AM
Back when clay first became popular with detailers we were always told to simply use water as a lubricant. It always worked fine, so you have to consider that if you`re scratching the paint, maybe the grade of clay you have is a little too aggressive. It`s in the best interest of the product supplier to have people use their QD`s rather than water, that`s how they make money.

Detergents will eventually cause the bar to break-up, and now that most all of the clay bars on the market come private labelled from Auto Wax, I doubt you`ll find one that lasts longer with detergent than others. :usa

stilez
03-11-2006, 07:51 AM
yeah i use soapy water...mix it stronger than you would for regular washing

PB SS&S has worked the best for me...Slicker than any lube I`ve used.

According to Steve, he reccomends a couple drops of SS&S and the rest water in a 24oz spray bottle.

Sherman8r44
03-11-2006, 05:49 PM
I use washsoap:water (1:31) in a spray bottle for claying...does the job as well as any QD. I`ve heard that the soap/water solution can break down some clays, but for the yellow clays I`ve used there`s no problem.

imported_MCA
03-11-2006, 07:51 PM
I typically use a slightly stronger concentration of my car wash. Another inexpensive option that I also use is Meg`s Last Touch QD. It`s a great QD that can be diluted into a clay lubricant.

s14roller
03-11-2006, 08:42 PM
I used car wash as well and it worked perfectly on all the occasions I`ve clayed the car.

Hey, Moe!
03-11-2006, 08:52 PM
I use Griot`s car wash, and it`s pretty slippery. I use it double strength when claying, and have been happy with the results.

Thomas Dekany
03-11-2006, 10:25 PM
I use plain water. Works great. Too much lub I don`t like. I want the contemination picked up by the clay bar, not slide over it. :D:D:D

ABS
03-11-2006, 10:42 PM
Why don`t you use Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine or QEW?

a small portion of dilution can give you the lube that you need! :clap: :xyxthumbs :clap: :xyxthumbs

if gonna save you from a hole in your pocket! :grinno: :grinno:

RCBuddha
03-11-2006, 11:50 PM
I tried using my wash solution as a lube, and while it did save time, I found that my claybars seem to wear a lot faster. I don`t have a particular favorite, but getting gallon sizes of QD is the best way to have a lot on hand. In fact, if you like S&W, why not spring for a 5 gallon size?

Envious Eric
03-12-2006, 10:10 AM
I just clayed a car and tried the clay before I rinse thing......my clay bar turned real gummy and was breaking apart too easily on me....that was with a QD too....I dont know if it was the clay itself, or the meguiars soapy water left on the car, but I had to throw the clay away after one car....