PDA

View Full Version : First time proper detail

uforia
03-10-2006, 08:30 PM
I`m planning to detail my car but just wanna make sure i do it right :) I have only since washed with Meguairs NXT wash and NXT gen Wax.

My car is a 2003 black wrx, overall the paint is in great condition, but have noticed the surface to be abit bumpy, and some very fine swirl marks. I have some Meguairs Scratch-X which should take care of the swirls? is this considered a polish? I was only goin to use that then wax, but should I also get Meguairs Clay bar? (also i would only need to do this whole process maybe twice a year?)

Would it then be:

Wash (detergent to get rid of all waxes)

clay

wash (nxt wash is this second wash required?)

scratch-x (polish?)

nxt gen wax

Thanks just wanna confirm i sorta have the right products and right order....

gtbaka
03-10-2006, 09:15 PM
I`m assuming you don`t have a PC, so correct me if I`m wrong.

"My car is a 2003 black wrx"

Nice Car.

"I have some Meguairs Scratch-X which should take care of the swirls?"

Yes, if you work it long enough.

"is this considered a polish?"

Yes.

"but should I also get Meguairs Clay bar? "

yes if you want to get rid of the: "surface to be abit bumpy"

"also i would only need to do this whole process maybe twice a year?"

Waxing, should be done every 3 months. I`d clay that frequently too. Polishing, is fine twice a year.

"Would it then be:

Wash (detergent to get rid of all waxes)

clay

wash (nxt wash is this second wash required?)

scratch-x (polish?)

nxt gen wax

"

Yes. that`s the process. The second wash is optional.

banana4yah
03-10-2006, 11:18 PM
Definitely clay bar the car. You`ll be surprise at how much contaminates are in the paint. I would wash the car after claying, it would wash off the clay residue.

Polishing by hand is very difficult. But if you have to, I would say use tons of elbow grease to work the polish in. It has to generate enough heat for the polish to work. Good Luck. NXT wax is a very nice otc product. It also has light cleaners and light filling properties. Very easy to use and looks great. By the way, nice bug eye. I have an 05 wagon myself.