PDA

View Full Version : what products make you need to tape trim before paint prep?

imported_thecarguy
03-10-2006, 10:21 AM
I`ve waxed up lots of trim and need to figure out when to tape the trim. I`ve heard products like Klasse don`t chalk the trim.

What products are safe to use aroudn trim and which are not?

Also, I have read some posts about people taping in 5 minutes. It takes me 4 minutes to tape one door handle. Any tutorials on rapid taping techniques?

imported_steveo3002
03-10-2006, 11:38 AM
its not just if the product marks the trim... taping avoids polishes/compunds getting forced into gaps where it cant be cleaned from

as for being fast at it...practice makes perfect

Super
03-10-2006, 12:06 PM
Also some polishes like DACP & FI-II will stain trim especially any cars made by GM. If you do get it on trim wipe off asap the longer it stays more its going to stain.

Taping especially if you are using a rotary in ether case of using a rotary or a PC trim should be taped where the pad will hit. Because polishing will take out the oils out of the plastic and or could dull or warp it by heating it.

What I do on a full Detail is paint the trim using a trim restorer then after I get done /w the inside then I wash. After wax maybe I will apply 303 for added protection and looks.

David Fermani
03-11-2006, 06:00 AM
It`s smart to dress all trim before rubbing or waxing. That way nothing will stick to it.

Nobuff2tuff
03-11-2006, 08:38 AM
so what fix do you have if the above was not done and now you have black trim that is stained ?

I had some plastic polish made by One Grand sitting in the back shelf I forgot about and applied it

to a black buffing pad and my pc set on 5. That appeared to remove most of the "white" staining, but

I am wondering if there is some better product out there once one has made a mistake.

I understand it is better to prevent staining black trim, but what if you do ?

Thanks.

Super
03-11-2006, 09:22 AM
Stained black trim I had a car that had stained black trim from polishing you might want to try a trim restorer but I doubt that will work it will make it look good but after it washes off the stain will still be there. If you keep applying the trim restorer it will restorer it? Trim plastic can be restained by a black trim stain (I forgot what its called?) you have to use a degreaser and clean the trim real good, apply the black stain let it set a few but in time some stain will wash out. Sorry not much help

68camaro
03-11-2006, 09:33 AM
l,ve had success with s100 not staining trim

imported_Intel486
03-11-2006, 10:01 AM
I only tape up when doing serious compounding or polishing.

For waxing I just stay away from trim with the buffer and come back and get the vehicle by hand. It`s fairly easy since the only two waxes I use are P21S (which I don`t use on a buffer) and Poorboy`s EX-P, which I leave on the vehicle so I can see the spots I`ve skipped.

David Fermani
03-11-2006, 10:19 AM
so what fix do you have if the above was not done and now you have black trim that is stained ?

I had some plastic polish made by One Grand sitting in the back shelf I forgot about and applied it

to a black buffing pad and my pc set on 5. That appeared to remove most of the "white" staining, but

I am wondering if there is some better product out there once one has made a mistake.

Thanks.

I`ve never had any problem removing wax from trim with a stiff detail brush and APC.

Accumulator
03-11-2006, 11:42 AM
I only tape up when doing serious compounding or polishing..

Same here. I apply my LSPs by hand around trim (if I`m not just putting said LSP *on* the trim anyhow) and all the LSPs I use are non-staining. Some LSPs work great on trim and that makes things quick and easy- just do the whole vehicle.

I`ve had good luck with Autoglym`s Bumper Care. It removes staining OK for me and dresses at the same time. Seems to have a little abrasive content that might help cut through the stains :nixweiss Whatever`s in it, I like it.

And I too take forever to tape a vehicle, and I`ve been doing it for a long, long time. I take greater care taping for a polishing session than some bodyshop guys do for a repaint ;)

imported_thecarguy
03-31-2006, 01:40 PM
all the LSPs I use are non-staining.

What LSP`s are those? Thanks

gtbaka
03-31-2006, 02:25 PM
Wow. I can`t really add anything, but sum it up.

-Tape only when using a machine, especially rotary.

-Practice & Experience will increase your taping speed

-Dress trim before polishing if you don`t tape

-Trim & Molding Dye (http://www.topoftheline.com/trim-molding-dye.html) *nuff said

-Apply LSP`s by hand, if by machine avoid trim and do those areas close to trim by hand

-Clean up with a brush, & a QD or alcohol/water 50/50 mix if it`s a polish or compound

Super
03-31-2006, 03:26 PM
Wow. I can`t really add anything, but sum it up.

-Tape only when using a machine, especially rotary.

-Practice & Experience will increase your taping speed

-Dress trim before polishing if you don`t tape

-Trim & Molding Dye (http://www.topoftheline.com/trim-molding-dye.html) *nuff said

-Apply LSP`s by hand, if by machine avoid trim and do those areas close to trim by hand

-Clean up with a brush, & a QD or alcohol/water 50/50 mix if it`s a polish or compound

On some car’s manufacturing trim you can get away from taping the trim but on GM trim I would tape if you are going to polish, especially if the trim is old & dry it will soak up the white polish and will stain.

“Dress trim before polishing if you don`t tape†Sometimes GM trim will stain anyway

“Apply LSP`s by hand, if by machine avoid trim and do those areas close to trim by hand†faster and better if you tape

imported_thecarguy
03-31-2006, 03:28 PM
good summary - thanks

imported_themightytimmah
04-01-2006, 01:17 PM

Thanks.

Top of the Line.com sells this stuff called "GR-40 Trim Restorer". It`s meant as the first step in a trim dying kit, but it does a great job at removing wax and compound stains by itself. I`ve found it to be much easier to use and effective than APC in this respect.