PDA

View Full Version : Chrome Wheels??

imported_topnotch
03-10-2006, 07:26 AM
I have a set of 23in rims from a customer who need some tlc, there is some caked on brake dust on them but I dont want to do anything that may hurt the finish. What can I do polish them? What products does anyone recommend for this. I have never had to work with such poorly taken care of chrome wheels but it is due to the car sitting dirty for a year while my customer was overseas trying to make it as a boxer. I tried the mothers powerball on them by the way with some Menzera which was working great until the powerball fell apart on the first rim, so any other information would be great. :think2

DM101
03-10-2006, 07:30 AM
Sounds like you got a mess. All I know is some of the chrome polishes like Mothers or Eagle One Never Dull

imported_topnotch
03-10-2006, 07:35 AM
I used mothers mag wheel polish which also worked well but some places I guess look like the chrome is giving up because it is chipped in some places and other spots look very tarnished. If I had a didgital camara that worked I would post a pic of this pita job.

RAG
03-10-2006, 08:24 AM
I`ve used Pro Power Acid Cleaner hundreds of times without any negative results. Acid cleaners work well for me because people rarely pay me enough to spend an extra hour polishing their rims. The biggest benefit is there is little risk of scratching the crome when cleaning via chemical rather than abrasion. Of course, don`t use the aforementioned cleaner on anything but chrome and you won`t have any problems.

imported_topnotch
03-10-2006, 08:38 AM
Will do, my acid cleaner is bit too diluted and I may need to make another mix for this task

White95Max
03-10-2006, 08:40 AM
I would use a cleaner like P21s unless you know for certain that the acid will not be harmful to the wheel.

imported_topnotch
03-10-2006, 09:11 AM
Well the wheel cleaner I use with acid it not very harsh, the ph is not that bad. I did though test the back portion of the wheel with the cleaner on for 30 seconds and finish looked good after that. I will keep my fingers crossed but my customer already saw the first one completed and said he was fine with it but I always want to take my work to another level.