PDA

View Full Version : How to remove road tar from inside of wheels

vipermike2002
03-10-2006, 07:25 AM
Im having a hard time getting some road tar off the inside of my wheels. I tryed using rim cleaner, bug and tar remover, and acid for cleaning wheels. Nothing seems to really work.

Any suggestions?

They are aluminum stock Pontiac wheels like in my sig.

Accumulator
03-10-2006, 09:49 AM
Maybe try soaking a paper towel with the bug/tar remover and sticking it on the tar to keep it saturated so the solvent can dwell a while. It`s a lot easier to do this sort of thing with the wheels off the vehicle, and once they`re clean I`d seal them very well so [stuff] doesn`t stick as tenaciously.

TigerMike
03-10-2006, 09:57 AM
Have you tried WD-40? Or how about an SOS pad? Old claybar? Then follow up with a metal polish...

AutoCadillac
03-10-2006, 10:04 AM
AutoPrep by Kleen-Strip

silkstone
03-10-2006, 07:53 PM
Sounds bad, I would jack the car up, and take the rims off, one by one. Once i didn`t have wheel cleaner, so i used hot water, with a couple of caps of AIO. Maybe you can use a magic eraser, real gentle on the inside. Be careful on the front, if they are CC.

jjohn918
03-10-2006, 10:40 PM
I`ve used good ol 409 before as well. It`s worth a shot.

imported_memnuts
03-11-2006, 03:43 AM
If the wheels are off the vehicle gasoline (best), kerosene or a mineral spirit (WD40) will dissolve any tar deposits. Allow a saturated rag to dwell on the involved areas. Use normal precautions when using volatile solutions (no flame, sparking source and good ventilate). This process if safe for all types of wheel coatings.

Be extremely careful using any rough abrasives on chrome and clearcoats wheels.

Protect with a protectant (sealant type best) for easier cleaning next time. Klasse SG and Zaino work great for this job.

Hope this helps