PDA

View Full Version : The $3 Car Wash v. Self-Serve Car Washes

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Intel486
03-08-2006, 01:07 PM
This is for those dedicated Autopians who live in apartments that you can`t wash your car at.

If I can do this on a F-150, then it should be easy to pull it off on a car.

Whenever I mention I go to a self-serve car wash my friend will always say, "It costs me $10 to wash my car." Now, I do have to admit when I first started going to the self-serve place it would often cost $6 to $8 in quarters to wash my truck. I knew I had to find a better way as I couldn`t afford to spend that money once to twice a week. It`s also one of my only options of washing since I`m currently living in Baton Rouge in an apartment.

The first thing I did was found a place where I could bucket wash. That`s the key right there! Just pressure washing doesn`t get all the dirt off and I would never think of using that brush on the paint (Though I do use it on the windshield and my soft bedcover). To fill up my bucket I was able to find a 5 gallon container to fill up at my apartment and carry to the car wash. Now, you have your bucket of water and soap and you`re ready to go!

I also get out my wheel cleaner, tire cleaner, and brush. My drying towels I put on the passenger seat so they`re reading to go as well.

Also, go at NIGHT or when it`s cool and you can work in the shade. This is important as you want time to work. If you can only go during the day, then it may cost you more as you`ll have to put another $1 or so in there to keep the vehicle wet and cool. I personally wash mine at 9 PM and I`m back to watch Futurama and Family guy at 10 PM.

Let`s get started now. $1 into the machine!

And I get 4 mins of run time. This can vary at different places though so it may cost you more or less than $3. I set the system to rinse and wet down the entire vehicle getting the wheel wells good and the front to kick off any bugs. I`ll also use the time to rinse off the brush they provide for you. If the truck is really dirt or I have a lot of bugs and have intentions to wax it as well, then I`ll soak the entire vehicle in their soap as well. I have found the stuff they have at my place is decently strong so it takes wax off but does great on bugs. I`ll also use their soap on the wheel wells.

Let`s start washing now!

At this time if I have a lot of bugs on the front of my truck (and didn`t use their soap), then I`ll apply my bug remover to let it soak in. I then grab the brush they have there and clean the bedcover, windshield, and rear window. I`ll then grab the wash bucket, which I previously placed at the rear of my truck and will wash the sides of the bed and tailgate. Last step is I quickly clean two wheels and tires. I`ve started doing this often so it takes me hardly any time. If your wheels are really dirty, then when you apply the bug stuff, you can also apply your wheel cleaner and tire cleaner to give it dwell time on the brake dust.

Another $1 goes into the machine! Rinse the entire truck down again!

Now, I grab the wash bucket, move it to the front of the vehicle and wash the rest of the truck (cab, hood, fenders, bumper). I`ll then grab the wheel cleaner and tire cleaner and clean the last two wheels.

The last $1 goes into the machine and I rinse her off really really well. Sometimes I`ll throw another quarter or two in (Gives me another minute) when it start to beep and use the spot free rinse. I`m not sure if this actually is spot-free water or what, BUT, it does provide a gently stream of water that helps me sheet water off the truck. Doesn`t work as well as a free flowing hose but if works better than the high-pressure water.

You`ve completed the $3 wash. Congrats

Now in review:

1) Go at Night or when it`s cool out!

2) Money in machine and wet entire vehicle down

3) Apply bug remover and wheel/tire cleaner if necessary

4) Wash 1/2 of vehicle quickly

5) Wash TWO wheels/tires

6) Money into Machine and rinse

7) Wash other 1/2 of vehicle

8) Wash remaining TWO wheels

9) Rinse vehicle well. Use Spot-Free rinse if you want

10) Dry!

For drying I`ve bought a stack of hand terry cloth towels with polyester (last longer but can scratch paint) that I use for the windows, vinyl (my rear bumpers and side steps hold a LOT of water that would soak my waffle weave towels), grille, cleaning the interior, etc. Basically, I use them on anything that won`t scratch easily. Cheaper than getting more waffle weave towels for drying these areas.

For the paint I have several Meguiar`s Waffle Weave towels. I also have an electronics air duster that I use for compressed air to blow water out of certain areas that I know drip. I`m sure you know where those areas are on your vehicle.

I`ve got another thread I want to make for us who live in apartments but that`ll have to wait. Off to a Chem class and I have a Chem Eng mid-term tomorrow. Though I may take a break tonight to eat and type it up.

And hopefully some of the people that remember me are still around :)

And a pic of my truck in the apt parking lot.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a365/Intel486/Truck/truckatapt.jpg

Wasatch
03-08-2006, 01:33 PM
I do the same thing.

Prometheus
03-08-2006, 01:35 PM
That`s a great idea just using the DIY wash just for rinse. Seems like it would work fantastically. My only issues is that from nov-march it is too dang cold to spend that much time washing the car in a DIY bay. Thanks for the technique though.

Rolla
03-08-2006, 01:36 PM
Nice writeup, perhaps sticky this for those who wonder how to do it.

White95Max
03-08-2006, 01:37 PM
Also, go at NIGHT or when it`s cool and you can work in the shade.

Well that rules it out for us northerners between October and April.

Can I ask why you can`t use QEW at your apartment instead?

imported_truzoom
03-08-2006, 02:32 PM
I do the same. Cost me $1.50 (2 $.75 sessions, prerinse, postrinse).

It`s smart to go at night anyway since you won`t have the owner on your back for using up the bays while people are waiting.

I`ve gone during the day before, and while I didn`t have issues with the owners, I got very STRANGE looks from people in the next bays as I was blading the water off my paint (best method I`ve found as the spray on the nozzle makes lots of beads).\

Max.. a lot of us don`t have personal garages :p

Plus my complex has it written in the lease that washing in the parking lot is forbidden.

imported_Intel486
03-08-2006, 02:37 PM
I do the same. Cost me $1.50 (2 $.75 sessions, prerinse, postrinse).

It`s smart to go at night anyway since you won`t have the owner on your back for using up the bays while people are waiting.

I`ve gone during the day before, and while I didn`t have issues with the owners, I got very STRANGE looks from people in the next bays as I was blading the water off my paint (best method I`ve found as the spray on the nozzle makes lots of beads).\

Max.. a lot of us don`t have personal garages :p

Plus my complex has it written in the lease that washing in the parking lot is forbidden.

Would cost me a good bit less as well but you have to put $1 into ours before it`ll start, then during washing you can add .25 to get another minute.

No one else is there when I`m there at night. Sometimes one other person shows up but there are 5 bays.

imported_Intel486
03-08-2006, 02:40 PM
Well that rules it out for us northerners between October and April.

Can I ask why you can`t use QEW at your apartment instead?

I have 3/4 of a gallon of QEW left and have been meaning to bring it to my apt to start using sometimes. But, usually the parking lot is full at night and during the day when i could find three spots in a row empty I`d have to work in the full sun.

I have started using Poorboy`s Spray and Wipe between washes for dust. I like to wash it though after I have to drive for awhile in the rain or make a highway trip with bugs.

TortoiseAWD
03-08-2006, 02:47 PM
I occasionally bucket wash at the coin-op, too, following a lot of the same procedures.

What floors me is how cheap y`all can get a wand wash. Here in Omaha, the bay closest to me (only 1/2 block) wants $2.50/4 minutes. The cheapest I`ve found is $1.50 for about the same amount of time, but that place is a real rat-hole compared to the $2.50 bays.

Tort

imported_Intel486
03-08-2006, 02:51 PM
I occasionally bucket wash at the coin-op, too, following a lot of the same procedures.

What floors me is how cheap y`all can get a wand wash. Here in Omaha, the bay closest to me (only 1/2 block) wants $2.50/4 minutes. The cheapest I`ve found is $1.50 for about the same amount of time, but that place is a real rat-hole compared to the $2.50 bays.

Tort

wow! that`s expensive.

The only thing I can think is they`re more strict up in your area and need to have a better water reclaim system.

imported_Larry A
03-08-2006, 03:26 PM
Its $2.00 for 4 minutes here, and .25 for ever 30 seconds after.

ET Awful
03-09-2006, 01:20 PM

So does mine, so I`m just going to start putting the bucket with QEW in it in the back and park at the school down the street or the park a few blocks away and do it there :P. As soon as weather permits that is.

For now, I`ll be doing it at a friends house that`s about 1/2 hour away.

yas
03-09-2006, 03:00 PM
In winter, my usual routine is to go to coin-op wash and just rinse vehicle thoroughly. Its minimum $3.00 CAN where I live, and gives about 5 minutes. If I have a sealant on instead of wax, I`ll use their soap as well as I don`t think it strips it off.

Its close enough to home, that I can drive back and just use a QD and wipe down car carefully, same with tires but just using disposable towels.

nighttraingirl
03-09-2006, 11:56 PM
This sounds like a good plan. I still won`t use the carwash brushes on my glass, though. I have some *nasty windshield and side glass scratches from that, and yes, I rinsed the brush first.

tailwind
03-10-2006, 12:41 AM
I do the same thing occasionally during the winter when the buildup on the car gets bad. The salt and grime gets to the point where QEW or something similar isn`t enough for the job.

I bring a large bucket, a mitt, some car wash, and two waffle weaves. Toss some money in to start it up, and pressure rinse the whole car off first. I then use their soap and brush to clean the wheels (I run the 16" painted stockers in winter, no damage done) and tires, then fill my bucket with their water and wash by hand. I`ll throw another buck or two in afterward to rinse off, then if it`s busy I pack it up and pull out of the bay into the shade to dry, or if there`s nobody else there, just dry it off in the bay, starting and rocking the car back and forth once or twice to shake the excess out of the cracks.