PDA

View Full Version : meguiars gold glass clear coat liquid wax vs. zymol cleaner wax question

maxima2k2
03-08-2006, 06:02 AM
im going to detail my max...here is the process im using:

- wash using meguiars gold glass car shampoo

- drying- 100% cotton towels and california water blade

- polishing using meguiars color x

- seal and glaze using mothers sealer and glaze phase 2

- wax either using zymol cleaner wax or meguiars gold glass clear coat liquid car wax, not sure...

does anyone know using which wax offers better protection? meguiars gold glass clear coat liquid car wax or zymols cleaner wax? ever since ive own the car, ive been using zymol wax, this is the first time im going to try the meguiars liquid wax. help thanks

JustinR32
03-08-2006, 07:38 AM
I think you will prefer the Gold Class wax, assuming it`s a new bottle (the product was reformulated in Dec 04). You will have as nice a shine and a lot less dusting, and the shine and protection will last longer.

The Zymol beads water; the Gold Class does not, it will sheet water.

A couple things, though.

You have a lot of overkill with those different waxes.

ColorX and ZCW are one-step products. Using them as part of a multiple process defeats their purpose. They are great for what they are, but they don`t clean as well as a dedicated cleaner and they don`t protect as well as a dedicated wax.

After your wash step, insert an extra step: clay your car. It`s easy, as easy as washing or waxing.

I don`t generally recommend brand name products. But OTC, clean your paint after claying with either Mother`s or Meguiar`s Step 1 of either company`s 3 step system.

Then do the Mother`s Sealer & Glaze, OR the Gold Class. Not both. The Gold Class has mild cleaners in it that make it a less than ideal choice for a last coat.

Since I`m not a Mother`s user (it`s a great product but I`m on a product purchase moratorium for the rest of my life), other Mother`s users can help out with the proper way to use those products.

Tom

firegate
03-09-2006, 03:11 AM
The Zymol beads water; the Gold Class does not, it will sheet water.

Gold Class does bead water for the first week or so in my experience.. obviously doesn`t last as long as a higher quality wax would.

GC will have the better look of the two waxes IMO but is definitely less durable. If you do use Zymol, don`t bother with the Mothers Glaze. The cleaners in it are rather strong and will wipe most of it away. GC also contains cleaners but I don`t believe they`re that strong (someone can feel free to correct me if I`m wrong here).

maxima2k2
03-09-2006, 05:38 AM
Gold Class does bead water for the first week or so in my experience.. obviously doesn`t last as long as a higher quality wax would.

GC will have the better look of the two waxes IMO but is definitely less durable. If you do use Zymol, don`t bother with the Mothers Glaze. The cleaners in it are rather strong and will wipe most of it away. GC also contains cleaners but I don`t believe they`re that strong (someone can feel free to correct me if I`m wrong here).

your correct on the part where it doesnt bead water. I applied gold car liquid wax for the final step and it rained a little bit, so when i went home from work, all the beads of water dried on the hood forming TONS of water spots :(...will this affect my paint? or do i still have protection from the wax? i hope i didnt ruin my paint :nervous: this is the first time i used meguiars gold class wax, ive been using zymol ever since and never had the problem of dried water spots

asleepz
03-09-2006, 06:27 AM
Water spots are removeable. Don`t worry you didn`t ruin your paint at all.

sspeer
03-09-2006, 08:10 AM
I never found Zymol Cleaner Wax (made by Turtle Wax) to be durable.

The new formula GC is said to be much more durable than the old.

If you`re using ColorX you don`t really want/need a cleaner wax on top. If you`re looking for OTC products, I`d just use Megs #26 or a step 3 of the 3 steps

twitch
03-09-2006, 08:24 AM
I usually top ColorX with NXT. It comes out great and the NXT should give better durability than the GC wax.