PDA

View Full Version : Some nasty stuff

lex89
03-07-2006, 09:15 PM
http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/8199/7054655722000671606vz.jpg

I`m getting my dad`s car when I get my license in June (99 528i). Naturally, I`m obsessing over it. I`ve been trying to figure out every which way I can repair it, and I plan on detailing it pretty soon (spring break or late spring). He hasn`t taken spectacular care of the car, but I`m sorry to say that the above picture is my fault.

I had a little meeting with the side of the house when trying to pull the car into the garage. That is the paint from the house (I assume). What would be the best way to go about cleaning it off?

GTScott
03-08-2006, 07:05 AM
Paint to paint transfer is typically best removed with clay. It looks like there may be some other issues on that paint that need to be addressed with a paint cleaner, polish, and a good detail as well.

-GT

lex89
03-08-2006, 04:42 PM
Thanks. As I said, I do plan on detailing the car this spring; I just wanted to make sure I won`t need that to be professionally done.

When you say paint cleaner, do you mean actually washing the car or something I`d apply after I get the wax off?

twitch
03-08-2006, 05:37 PM
Thanks. As I said, I do plan on detailing the car this spring; I just wanted to make sure I won`t need that to be professionally done.

When you say paint cleaner, do you mean actually washing the car or something I`d apply after I get the wax off?

Most paint cleaners are used to chemically remove things that can dull the finish.

Do some research here http://www.autopia-carcare.com/index.html if you haven`t already. This will be a great start to answer plenty of your questions.

Welcome to the site!

imported_Tex Star Detail
03-08-2006, 06:26 PM
Thank goodness you aren`t down on this side of the country......How theheck did you hit the house while pulling it into the garage??????????? :D

lex89
03-08-2006, 07:46 PM
lol don`t worry I`m not a menace on the road :xyxthumbs . My garage is faced perpendicular to the driveway. So you have to pull in on the right side of the driveway, try to get as best an angle as you can, and then back and forth your way into the garage. It was one of the first times I was driving the car and I mis-judged where the front was (trying to squeeze the turn into the garage) and I clipped the house.

Btw thanks for the info Twitch. I`ve seen that site, just thought it was products only (found it by accident when trying to get here).

twitch
03-08-2006, 07:50 PM
Btw thanks for the info Twitch. I`ve seen that site, just thought it was products only (found it by accident when trying to get here).

No problem. Yep there is a TON of information there that will keep you busy for hours.

imported_themightytimmah
03-09-2006, 12:19 AM
I`ve found great luck with a mild polish (Optimum, IP) via hand on paint transfer. Clay works too, it`s just less convenient as far as I`m concerned. Just judging by that panel, you might want to invest in a PC.