PDA

View Full Version : Best products for metallic silver?

clnfrk
03-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Its only been a couple of months since I last polished and sealed my car, which is the above mentioned color. I used 3M finishing material to polish using first an orange pad and then a yellow LC pad because it seemed to take too long and too many passes to get the results I wanted with the orange. Although I worked on the car for 2 days just polishing (many breaks taken), in the end it was well worth it as there is virtually no sign of micromarring even under a high powered halogen light. I then finished with AIO, 3 coats of SG then topped off with S100. I eventually ended up applying a layer of pink wax also since I got a free sample with my order of FK 425.

The car still looks fabulous, but I am looking to experiment with different products just for the hell of it. It keeps me busy in my free time and I really enjoy detailing. So, I`m looking for suggestions on the best polishes, sealants and/or waxes for this particular color. From what I`ve noticed on this forum, it seems as if alot of you seasoned detailers (scottwax) comes to mind do not top sealants on light colored cars like you do on dark colors, especially black.

With that said, it seems as if many of you would agree that UPP is a good choice for silver along with Acrylic Jett. Are there others that would be worth considering? And, since I want to start from scratch, what would be the best way to go about stripping the products that I have on the car currently? Thanks.

clnfrk
03-07-2006, 08:10 PM
Oh... one more thing. Where can I purchase the Acrylic Jett?

Scottwax
03-07-2006, 08:33 PM
Oh... one more thing. Where can I purchase the Acrylic Jett?

www.jeffswerkstatt.com

No one can really say what will look best on silver to you since no one else has your eyes and your brain to interpret what you see...but I think you would be very happy with the Werkstatt twins. Definitely my go to on silver now.

racingbeat
03-07-2006, 09:15 PM
I just did exactly what you did except I "sealed" the S100 with FX100. Then came out the 425.

I think i`ve gone out to the car 20 times just to touch the paint. I stopped into the 7-11 the other night did a double take. also the least amount of time I`ve spent on the car for such results. Important to me because Autocross/track season is right around the corner. Nothing I hate more than spending two hours cleaning the car just to get it FILTHY (omg the wheels are a mess, other guys`s tire rubber on my wheels :hairpull !!!) the very next day. Yep I clean it again when I get home :cry:

FK = Fast

I want to try the poorboys Ex with nuba, pink wax and the Fx100/425 "FK twins" :)

GTScott
03-08-2006, 07:17 AM
I love the look of PB`s EX-P on my metallic silver. I figured everyone was crazy when they said there was a difference in the look of EX-P and EX w/ Carnuba on metallics but the EX-P really does bring out the metallic flakes.

-GT

TGates
03-08-2006, 07:29 AM
I really like UPP on my silver metallic car. It just shimmers.

SilverLexus
03-08-2006, 09:39 AM
I have two things out of many tried that work well:

1. Zaino Z-2Pro.

2. AIO plus Pinnacle Souveran.

Both look awesome. Zaino seems to shimmer a bit more since it has such high clarity.

imported_Neothin
03-08-2006, 12:01 PM
AIO/UPP a couple of times. metallic flake? check! durability? check! great looking silver combo? yep!

zippymbr
03-08-2006, 01:26 PM
I love the look of PB`s EX-P on my metallic silver. I figured everyone was crazy when they said there was a difference in the look of EX-P and EX w/ Carnuba on metallics but the EX-P really does bring out the metallic flakes.

-GT

Another vote for the EX-P! Massive flake pop with my silver Odyssey. OCW on top adds alittle and by far my fav combo for silver.

SilverLexus
03-08-2006, 01:30 PM
My issue with UPP is it seems very solventy. I have never seen great durability with it...maybe the solvents burn off.

Thomas Dekany
03-08-2006, 02:52 PM
pink wax is my vote.

racingbeat
03-08-2006, 03:40 PM
EX-P + Pink Wax + FX100 + 425?? :drool:

Thomas Dekany
03-08-2006, 03:54 PM
EX-P + Pink Wax + FX100 + 425?? :drool:

I`d say 1000 + 185 + pink wax + FX100 + 425???? :D

LynchMOB
03-08-2006, 04:26 PM
My plan is for FK215 + 2180 + 1000P + PW + FX100 + 425

LOL, Im going for durability. Probably alittle over kill.

racingbeat
03-08-2006, 04:47 PM
I`m interested in EX-P for its reported `depth` producing qualities for a sealant. Could be a good base for the Nuba. Doesn`t a top rate sealant make 1000 redundant?

With FK it seems to me you`ve got a good base, excellent sealing and good slick topping but the missing link seems to be an ingredient that will knock it out of the park in the depth aka "pool of water" effect.