PDA

View Full Version : Confused Newbie - Need some advice on what products to use

superjimbo
03-07-2006, 05:43 PM
Hi All,

First time poster here! I purchased a 2005 Honda S2000 about 6 months ago and I need some advice on how to detail it. The car`s paint is in pretty good shape (you can see a few swirls/marks in direct light, but other than that, it`s close to flawless). Since I purchased the car, I`ve been taking care of it in the following manner:

I start with the wheels and use sonus wheel cleaner with a meguiar`s wheel brush

Then I wash the car using NXT generation car shampoo in combination with a wool wash mitt, an OXO car body brush, and a small sponge for bug and other road tar.

To dry the car, I use the waterfall sheeting method to get rid of most of the water and then follow up with a california water blade, and a meguiar`s waffle weave drying towel. I use stoners on the windows.

For the interior, I protect all of the vinyl pieces with 303 and clean and protect the leather with zaino z9 and z10.

First of all, any comments on what I`ve been doing so far? Is there anything I`m missing that I should get? Or is there something I should stop using.

Now, what I`m really interested in getting an opinion on is what products and methods I should use to protect and shine my paint. I`ve read a good bit of this site, but I`m still a little hazy on the difference between polishers, waxes, and sealants as well as what products are best etc etc. At this point in time, I can`t really afford to buy a PC and all the accessories I would need nor do I really want to get that hardcore about it. WIth that in mind, what should I be doing to protect and shine my paint? Just clay and wax? If so, what products should I use and any tips how to apply them would be appreciated. Thanks and sorry for the long post! :waxing:

gtbaka
03-07-2006, 06:03 PM
Good start with the washing habits.

If you could learn to do without the CWB, do so. It`s all fine and dandy until a tiny little particle gets lodged between some sort of squeegee blade and the paint, and hello, new scratch. I usually also lay out my absorber to pick up the majority of the water and dab smaller remnants to prevent swirling.

If you can live with the minor swirls and whatnot, then yes, I`d just clay and wax until I could afford a PC. You could hand polish, but I`m not that patient. As for some clarity here`s a breakdown on what you are confused on.

Polishing: Using some sort of abrasive and buffing action to remove defects. You actually, break down a miniscule amount of the clearcoat to remove the defects.

Wax: Best I`ve heard it described. An expendable temporary barrier between your paint and the elements.

Sealant: A sealant can be a wax, but usually the difference is the base of the wax. When people refer to wax, it`s usually carnauba based. A sealant is a polymer, or an acrylic. Lasts longer than carnauba.

Back to the recommendation point. Now regarding your car protection. It really is just preference. Carnauba is the asthetic choice. Sealant is the practical choice. There are some pretty shiny sealants though, like FMJ. Or you can even use both by topping a sealant with wax if you want. When you decide what you want application is pretty easy. Apply and wipe off. Use this principle too. Less Product, Less Mess, Less Money, Less Work, Better results. Waxing and Sealing don`t need liberal amounts of product. So keep things clean, and you have less work to do.

superjimbo
03-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Wow - great answers, GTbaka! Thanks! Keep the advice coming, guys!