PDA

View Full Version : Need a polish with good results by hand.

LynchMOB
03-06-2006, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I know I have read enough to understand polishing by hand is not easy. I have done a door & a fender on my silver van and its not easy... thank god silver hides. I have a plan for the van already but I think I might try a different plan for the Jeep.

I have a 2005 Solar Yellow Jeep Wrangler, The paint is in great shape but seems to have a slight haze. And I know of atleast 2 decent scratches in the clearcoat that need attention. What Im looking for is suggestions for a polish that is somewhat easy to use by hand. Or at least something I can attack the scratches with to reduce them or get rid of them.

Thanks!

toml
03-06-2006, 05:04 PM
What Im looking for is suggestions for a polish that is somewhat easy to use by hand. Or at least something I can attack the scratches with to reduce them or get rid of them.

I don`t hand polish (PC user), but one readily available product (Walmart, Target, etc) that may be worth considering is Meg`s Scratch X. This write-up (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1516) from Mike Phillips over at the Meguiar`s forum shows how to remove defects by hand using Scratch X.

I`m sure others will chime in as well ...

Wasatch
03-06-2006, 05:58 PM
1Z PP, 1Z MP, and Adams Revive are pretty good by hand.

RCBuddha
03-06-2006, 09:15 PM
Meguiar`s #81 Hand Polish is pretty easy to use by hand.

Sherman8r44
03-06-2006, 09:23 PM
I`ve had good results at reducing Random Deep Isolated Scratches with Mothers Cali Gold Scratch Remover. The key is using a high-quality cotton terry towel and lightly rubbing over...and over...and over...and over.... and then put more Scratch Remover on and let the repetition take over until your arm falls off. You`re not going to want to polish over the whole car, so use some sort of glaze to fill in the the multitude of tiny scratches that are probably causing the haze...although that is only a temporary solution.

imported_ajbarnes
03-06-2006, 09:49 PM
I second ScratchX. It works perfect by hand for light paint transfer scratches and blemishes. :up

LynchMOB
03-07-2006, 04:52 AM
Thanks!! ScratchX sounds like something to try for the scratches. I will look into the 1Z polishes. Im not really sure what the haze is from, the paint is in great condition... I always assumed the haze was from whatever the dealer used on the Jeep? The only thing I have put on it it is DP Spray Sealant and Max Wax.

Accumulator
03-07-2006, 09:20 AM
I`ve often found "hazing" to be micromarring. I`d check it out with magnification.

If you can find the discontinued (but still commonly available) 3M PI-III RC (05933) and PI-III MG (05937), they work well by hand. I see them on the shelves in autobody/paint supply places and some internet vendors still have them.

LynchMOB
03-07-2006, 09:33 AM
Im probably noob enough to not know what im talking about.

I really doubt I could get a picture of this... The paint when clean looks wet, thats good. When I look at the hood at an angle it doesnt look clear, it looks like it has a film on the surface. When I look at it straight on with a light above, the reflection of the light seems good or crisp but the edges are blurred or hazed? Im not sure I am explaining this properly.

Accumulator
03-07-2006, 09:52 AM
You`re explaing it OK, it`s just hard to guess what`s really going on.

What you could do it clean the area with something like Meg`s Deep Crystal Step #1. This is a nonabrasive paint cleaner. Once the paint is (truly) clean you can maybe see what`s what. If the cleaner solves the problem, cool; if not then I`d try a mildly abrasive polish.

LynchMOB
03-07-2006, 09:54 AM
Will Meg`s Deep Crystal Step #1 completely strip all wax and or sealants?

Accumulator
03-07-2006, 10:02 AM
Yep. So keep that in mind when you plan your detailing session. Since anything that`ll solve the problem has to get through your existing LSP you`re looking at redoing that anyhow.

LynchMOB
03-07-2006, 10:16 AM
THANKS!!!

Thats what I want.... cause I really think if I completely strip all wax/sealants off the paint it will fix the problem Im seeing. Except for Autopians nobody else would ever notice the haze thats bugging me.