PDA

View Full Version : Sonus Pads?

clnfrk
03-06-2006, 12:04 AM
I am in the process of ordering some Sonus products. I am getting all three grades of polishes and possibly the orange swirlbuster pad. I also want to get the appropriate pads to apply the three different grades of polishes, but I need help in determining the difference between the regular SFX pads and the DAS pads. The SFX pads are a little more expensive, but aren`t as highly rated on the star scale as the DAS versions.

Can someone please tell me the difference between the two? And, has anyone tried the orange swirlbuster pad that could let me know if its worth getting? I am also expecting my Hitachi rotary within a couple of days and I will need some pads and backing plates for that as well. Will the Sonus pads and PC backing plates work with the rotary, or is it a whole different setup altogether?

Help me out guys! Thanks.

Neo62381
03-06-2006, 12:16 AM
The SFX pads are a little more aggressive than the DAS pads. I just ordered my SFX pads a couple weeks ago, and if I had it to do over again, I think I would have gotten the DAS pads. However, I dont have a rotary, and the SFX pads were designed with the rotary in mind. I don`t think PC backing plates will work on the rotary, someone else may chime in on that one tho. If you order the SFX pads, I would consider ordering a DAS blue pad for the PC as it is a touch less aggressive than the SFX blue pad, and everyone needs a softer pad to apply waxes, sealants, ect. with. Hope this is at least some help.

Alfisti
03-06-2006, 05:45 AM
I have a different view when it comes to SFX vs DAS. I have, and use both, and in most cases prefer the SFX pads. The SFX pads have been designed to work with water-based polishes, like the SFX range and Menzerna, etc. The closed-cell nature of the foam allow the pad to stay wetter longer and dust less with water-based polishes. They also leave a better finish.

The DAS pads use an open-cell foam that works better with petroleum-based polishes like 1Z and Megs.

The SFX pads are optimized for PC use and seem to be perfectly matched to the SFX polishes.

Both pads are excellent but the SFX definitely have the edge with water-based polishes and a PC. :up

wannafbody
03-06-2006, 08:57 AM
Will SFX pads fit a 6 1/2 inch backing plate-and are they dished?

asleepz
03-06-2006, 09:10 AM
They fit their 6" flex plate with about 1/8" of overhang. So I doubt they would fit well on a 6 1/2". They are not dished.

Alfisti
03-06-2006, 06:35 PM
The SFX pads are 6" and the velcro goes right to edge.

Strangely, the packaging says that it can be used with a backing plate 5-6 1/2"...but I wouldn`t. :nervous2:

clnfrk
03-06-2006, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the responses. I went ahead and ordered the SFX pads even though I still have the constant pressure pads that I purchased from classic motoring that haven`t even been opened yet. These particular pads are dished. Can someone fill me in as to what exactly the dish accomplishes?