PDA

View Full Version : PC7424 - Need lots of advise please!

Pages : [1] 2

C5-Deb
03-05-2006, 06:33 PM
I am FINALLY buying a PC 7424 from Coastaltool. What additional items do I absolutely need to be used with the following products (on a 2004 dark blue vehicle with minimal swirling):

Menzerna FP

Meguiars Show Car Glaze

Klasse AIO

Klasse SG

S100

Mother`s FX

I am a little nervous because I have always detailed my vehicles by hand. Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!!!

gtbaka
03-05-2006, 10:37 PM
First off. Click on the Learn link at the top of the page. Get the guide to detailing ebook, and it has a wealth of info that you can learn a lot from.

Seems like you`ve got all the products you need.

I don`t know if the backing plate from coastal tool will fit any particular pad, but it says it`s 6", so, unless you want other pad sizes, you probably have to buy 7.5" pads. You will at least need to buy a polishing pad, and a finishing pad. Get a cutting pad if you think the swirls will need a little more work. Your most abrasive polish (and only) is FP so you might have to get a cutting pad. Or more abrasive polish if the FP/Pad combo doesn`t get the swirls out.

You also need MF towels to wipe off excess product, which you probably have.

Optional:

Pick up a Quick Detailer and it can be used to lubricate the pads, besides the standard Maintainence between washes. Or a spray bottle to mist the pad with water. This helps spread the product more easily.

You can get brushes for cleanup (or toothbrushes), since jumping from hand to machine can get a bit more messy. The brushes are for cleaning up dried product that has gotten into crevices. Or you can go preventive and tape off areas with painters or masking tape. I usually don`t tape with a PC (only rotary), but I`d imagine a learning curve from hand to machine might get a little messy. Just a little.

That should be it. Towels and pads are the only other things you need besides the product and the PC. The Spray bottle or QD, Tape, Brushes are optional.

On another note. I think the FX and SG are redundant. The AIO is also a polish/sealant product.

misterbobo
03-06-2006, 01:07 AM
seems like you`ll need a polish like SSR 2 and the items mentioned above.

and don`t worry about messing up. after doing one a panel, you`ll wonder why you didn`t buy the PC earlier.

Accumulator
03-06-2006, 08:57 AM
Yeah, between the hard (and pretty thick) clear on the C5s and the mild nature of the PC, if anything you`re gonna find it`s not aggressive enough.

The C5 paint is gonna be way too hard for FP to do any real correction, at least it was on mine (`99 model year).

imported_Neothin
03-06-2006, 09:19 AM
As Ack said above, the vette paint is kinda of on the hard side. I`d think about picking up a lineup of 4" pads. The smaller pads tend to make polishes cut faster.

dc larson
03-06-2006, 01:56 PM
I also just just ordered the PC 7424 from Coastal Tool. Yes, with the 6" Hook & Loop Contour Pad & 6" Counterweight.

That was my first question. About the pads to buy. When I order the pads, what size? 7.5" Are they common or is this going to be a pain? Where can I get them for the 6" size that I have. I`ll be using most all Meg`s products. My routine will be...clay bar, #9 Swirl Remover (couple of times probably), #26 Wax and then a finish spray. Could you point me easily to the pads I need. I have been lurking and reading info about the polisher for over a year, but I need more info it seems. At least I want to start with the right pads.

When do I use a Glaze? Between # 9 and #26?

Thanks,

C5-Deb
03-06-2006, 03:47 PM
Hey - thank you for the advise so far! But, the car I`m going to be using the 7424 on is a 2004 Ford Explorer. It`s just a slightly lighter blue in color than the `01 Vette. Can I use 6 1/2" pads with 6" Hook/Loop that comes from Coastal? Also, which brand of pad is the best? Oh - I forgot to mention - I do have the Menzerna IP I can use. Should I start with the FP to see if that does the trick on the light swirls? Which pad with the FP? THANK YOU - AND I AM SURE I WILL THINK OF MORE QUESTIONS. :)

Accumulator
03-06-2006, 06:14 PM
C5-Deb- Heh heh, OK, the Ford angle changes things a little bit. Its clear will almost certainly be softer than that on the `vette.

Yeah, you can use that plate with 6.5" pads. I`ll let somebody else handle the "which pads?", though I like the old stand-bys from Lake County. Get more pads than you think you`ll need, as things happen.

Yep, see if the FP is enough (polishing pad) and if not use the IP. If you use the IP, see if it requires a follow-up with FP (if so, do it, if not, skip it).

dc larson- I would`t get pads larger than 6.5" as they become less aggressive (overload the PC and make it just "jiggle"). If you have hard paint you ought even consider a smaller backing plate and 4" pads (hear that C5-Deb? consider it for your `vette ;) ).

Polishing pads for polishing, polishing or finishing (I prefer the former) for glazing, finishing pads for LSPs.

#9 is *AWFULLY* mild, often too mild. And yeah, the glaze goes between the polishing and your LSP (here, #26).

Oh, and welcome to Autopia and the PC, folks.

imported_Neothin
03-06-2006, 07:15 PM
I`ve never had issues with my lake country or propel pads. The LC backing plates have melted more than once on me though. The propel pads are kinda easier to handle seeing as they`re completely flat vs the contoured shape of the LC`s. LC pads can be picked up from autogeek and pakshak (probably more vendors, but those are the only ones i remember off hand) and the propel`s are stocked exclusively by exceldetail.

C5-Deb
03-07-2006, 08:06 AM
Cool - you guys are definitely helping me out here! Thank you!

With regard to the 6" Hook & Loop Contour Pad I will be receiving with my 7424 from Coastal, is that different than a "backing plate"? How good are the Sonus pads?

Would this be the right order in which to use my products:

Menzerna IP / FP

Klasse AIO

Meguiars Show Car Glaze (Should I use the Glaze or skip it.)

Klasse SG (Believe me - I know how difficult this is to remove.)

S100

I don`t want overkill, but I want the paint to look the best it possibly can. Anything here I should really just skip?

Oh - also - which speeds on the 7424 for the Polish and for the AIO/Glaze/SG. I will be applying the S100 by hand since is sooooooo easy - I love that stuff! :)

Here is a pic of the Explorer (Sport Trac) I will be working on.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y230/deb2ann/IM000847.jpg

sQuashed
03-07-2006, 08:25 AM
I have sonus pads and really like them !!

Your process looks good except for the glaze.. The SG will not bond to the glaze at all. One or the other need to go.

Accumulator
03-07-2006, 08:51 AM
Yeah, skip the glaze as it`s not compatible with the Klasse approach.

I do almost all my polishing at speed 6. I use 4-4.5 for AIO.

I do KSG by hand as I find it easier to get a *VERY* thin application that way. The key to its being easy to use is getting it on thin enough (honestly, doing my minivan with it is an absolute piece of cake, almost effortless). If you can just *barely* see it on the paint you`ve still used a little too much (!) but it should come off OK. Try fogging the surface with your breath as you buff it off.

Haven`t tried the Sonus pads but they`ll be fine.

That`s an attractive blue on the Explorer!

C5-Deb
03-07-2006, 09:05 AM
Yep - guess you guys can tell what my favorite color is! :)

Thank you for the further info - I think I will just skip the Meguiars Show Car Glaze all-together. To me - especially being in Arizona - the Klasse twins in my lineup are a must. I always think I put on a thin coat of the SG - but it`s still difficult to get off. I use a microfiber to buff off by hand and I do use my spray detailer afterwords to get any remaining SG off and that seems to work well.

For the AIO - I would use a finishing pad on the 7424?

Accumulator
03-07-2006, 09:13 AM
The only problem with the finishing pad is that some of them can sorta load up with products like AIO. I use a very mild polishing pad, seems to work better for me. As long as the pad won`t cause any micromarring (shouldn`t be a problem if you think about it) then it won`t be functionally too aggressive. And the more open nature of a polishing pad lets the AIO (and anything it cleans off) soak in rather than building up/caking on the outer surface of the pad.

C5-Deb
03-08-2006, 06:16 PM
Can I go ahead and use the smaller polishing pad that comes standard with the 7424 - with maybe the AIO? Also, how should I wash the pads and what products can I use to wash them with?