PDA

View Full Version : What should I be using to apply AIO, SG, S100?

nappyjim
03-05-2006, 04:25 PM
I`ve been using just your standard pad. Should I continue to use the foam pad, or should I switch to the MF applicator pads?

Also, I bought these MF pads off the site last year, but dont see them on here anymore. I used them to remove the aio, sg, and s100. Can anyone recommend a MF towel to use, or what these are called now? Please provide a link to the product if possible.

Like what is the difference between the Der Wunder Buffing Towel and Der Wunder Polishing Towel . They both say they can be used for removing polishes and waxes. Can they both be used for applying and removing a detailing spray?

here a pics. I think they were sonus brand, but theres no tag.

http://home.comcast.net/~JimAvila/mft.jpg

racingbeat
03-05-2006, 04:53 PM
for All in One Klasse says to use the product liberally since your are cleaning and don`t want to miss any areas. I use one of those foam pads with the built in handle, I was using MF and teryy pads in the past but they soak up way more product than needed. I remove AIO with the Sonus Der Wunder Polishing towel. I do two coats to make sure I got everything.

For Klasse SG I use the MF pad and I first spray the panel with Sonus Acrylic Spritz and spray the pad itself with the AS. I always try to avoid rubbing on the paint when the paint is dry. Lubricating the surface is key for reducing micro marring/swirling. I pour out one dime size drop per panel onto the paint itself and spread all around quickly. I buff off using the either buffing cloth that you have pictured or the green polishing towel. I`ll go around the car clockwise, after I`ve done the second panel I`ll go back to the first panel and spray the acrylic spritz over teh whole panel to even out any spots I may have missed. I used to wait until I did the whole car to do the once over with Acrylic Spritz but once a missed spot dries its a bit more elbow grease to buff out. In theory it should be effortless to buff out but getting *just the right amount* of SG takes some practice.

for S100 use the foam applicator and buff out using something like the meguiars gold class buffing towel. or the Sonus Der Wonder Buffing towel that you have. You should have at least one dedicated bUffing towel for final finishing.

p.s.

I just did some of this today and yesterday I put down somd FK #425 and the surface was dust free.

After I applied some S100 within an hour there was dust back on the surface. Going forward I think I will always make sure to have #425 as the last treatment. Its so slick the dust blows right off.

nappyjim
03-05-2006, 05:08 PM
Thanks for all the info racingbeat. So there is a difference between a polishing towel and a buffing towel?

I can apply fk 425 right after I buff off the s100? No cure time needed?

And one more thing, can I apply SG after AIO, or must I wait 24 hours before applying the first layer of SG?

racingbeat
03-05-2006, 05:48 PM
the threading or `thread count` for polishing towels and buffing towels is different. THe polishing towel has more bite and should only be used to clean and remove waxes. I try to do slow and firm strokes keeping the # strokes with a polishing towel down to minimum and refolding the towel with each downward pass. With a super soft buffing towel you want little if any pressure and more speed. For me the object is to touch unlubricated paint surfaces as little as possible (lessons from owning a black daily driver).

no waiting time for AIO. once it touches the paint its bonded. Wipe on Wipe off.

For the SG wait at least 8 hours (according to Klasse) for one application. I like to do one

in the morning and then another at night.

The S100 curing time? Not sure about that but since its a biodegradeable prodcut I imagine its dries and bonds in only a fraction of the time. I noticed S100 put a ratcheting top on their product to keep it from drying out. I only waited about twenty minutes from the time I did the first panel before I did a #425 final touch. With the #425 I would use the Sonus buffing towel to spread evenly on each panel. It has thick consistency (like Chloraseptic) so I would hold off on going with the much more plush Meguiar`s Buffing towel (or equivalent) until you are ready for the very last buffing (again speed not pressure).

another thing I do is to keep a spring water bottle in the trunk or behind my seat and I douse each panel (lots of beading thanks to the Klasse+FX100) and using my damp waffle weave towel I cleaned off the surface of each panel downward motion, refolding for each panel. this was to ensure that the surface was CLEAN before rubbing on the paint with the S100. I forgot about the Sonus Carnauba spritz I had back in my closet which I like to use to lubricate the panel before applying the S100.

I only do this dust off withe spring water before applying waxes or #425 and I refrain from dusting off the car frequently. Touching your paint too often will bring on the dreaded swirl. But if you must water down the paint first. I think using a Calfornia duster on dry paint is a big mistake, specially on dark colors.

Swirls can always be removed with a quality swirl remover but why even go there if you can avoid it.

P.S.

Sea sponges are great for washing your car and reduces micromarring. I use a Chenille sponge for the lower dirtier portions.

here`s my old car with 6 coats each of the Klasse twins and P21S (same as S100 just more expensive)

Wish I knew about #425 back then!!

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/mx5hard.jpg

JimHare
03-11-2006, 05:43 PM
First, nice car. My two Caddys are Sable Black and I know it`s a bear to keep them clean.. :scared:

I`ve been a Klasse user for a couple of years now, but I have a question regarding your post: You say you have six coats EACH of the Twins..but my understanding has always been that AOI doesn`t layer - since it`s a cleaner, each application will simply remove the previous one. So ONE good, thorough application of AIO is sufficient.

I know that SG is different. Layers nicely...but AIO?

Thanks.

racingbeat
03-11-2006, 09:34 PM
i meant six layers of SG and then six aplications of S100. AIO I only do twice for total coverage, not necessarily for layering.

For a black car I would now do only a couple applications of SG again to make sure coverage is total and then FX100 by Finish Kare which is soooo easy to put on. Then the S100 with FX100 over each coat. Its a sealant that works over Carnauba unlike SG.

for the final coat I would use FK 425 to keep dust off with its ultra slick surface.

panapower
03-22-2006, 09:45 AM
If using a porter cable, what pads would you use for the AIO and what setting on dial?