PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys tip your mechanics ?

pingable
03-04-2006, 03:41 PM
Just curious. My mechanic always takes cares of me and helll.....I drive 1.5 hrs for simple things like getting a spare patched. I tip him during the holidays or when I`m feeling like I can spare a little tip but I always bring him different exotic beers and leave it in the passengers seat for him and his partner. Just picked up abt $90 of beer (6 varities / 2 each).

I think these little things go a LONG way for me to show my appreciation.

Spilchy
03-04-2006, 04:41 PM
I tip, on occasions, but not if he is the owner of the garage.

When I`ve had my tires rotated, a tire changed, a plug/patch put in or something small like that, I`ll tip the mechanic who worked on the car - usually like $3 for the few minutes it took him to do it.

Those are the only times I tip at the local garage. They already get enough money!

Do you tip the waitress who takes your order and gives you the bag of food when you stop in and get takeout at the local diner? I do.

I do a lot of tipping where most people wouldn`t. Its only a couple extra bucks here and there, but I feel I need to acknowledge the worker (who otherwise doesn`t earn a lot of money) that provide a service to me. They`re always suprised and grateful.

imported_Gears
03-04-2006, 05:46 PM
Thats a nice thing to do. I like it when people tip me.

Just remember to give him the beer after he works on your car.

Autoeng
03-04-2006, 09:00 PM
I don`t tip him but I send him all the business I can because he is damn good.

ZaneO
03-04-2006, 09:18 PM
Unfortunately, I don`t have *a* mechanic. There are a couple of places I will take my car if I *have* too, but I`ve yet to find that one person/shop that I whole-heartedly trust...if I did, I would probably tip as possible.

WSUcommuter
03-06-2006, 11:25 AM
I do as much as I can with my vehicle on my own, but I know my limits. There have been times when I had a mechanic go above and beyond what I would ever expect him to do, and I gave him a little extra on those occassions. However, I think the best tip anyone could ever give a mechanic was mentioned by Autoeng above.

BobD
03-06-2006, 11:30 AM
My parents have a real good mechanic, he used to be mine until I bought a car with warranty, and they always bring the guys donuts and breakfast and stuff like that.