PDA

View Full Version : fiberglass fenders....offroad industry

Envious Eric
03-04-2006, 02:11 PM
I have a particular question I would like some more info about....

I am involved in the offroad racing industry and would like to know the best way to go about detailing these types of truck with their fiberglass fenders which have a white gelcoat on them unless they are painted....

question: what product should I be using on those fenders....boat products? or the normal car paint products? Is there something in particular about gelcoats and fiberglass that I should no use regualr meguiars 83/80/66 on...

also what pads should I use, or are the normal pads ok, but need a different product on them?

what if the fenders with the gelcoat on them are actually painted....again what product should I be using.....

thanks

eric

joburnet
03-04-2006, 03:02 PM
If it is a gelcoat then I would treat it like a boat. Use a rotary to polish, a PC won`t do a whole lot. Although I haven`t tried it yet I would like to try optimum compound on a gelcoat to see how it would do, I would expect very well.

I`ve used cleaner waxes for gelcoat in good condition and a compound for an oxidized gelcoat. I would suggest using something easy to use, I`ve had pretty good luck with Stoner Polishes.

holland_patrick
03-04-2006, 03:45 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/holland_patrick/wood3.jpg

the thing you need to remeber is that gelcoat will take any pigment from the stuff your using..

I used a wool cutting pad and PB propolish for the front clip of this car.. it was Fiberglass gelcoat with no paint, right out of the box.

Topped with PB sealant with polish