PDA

View Full Version : Detailing answers on "Yahoo Answers"

White95Max
03-04-2006, 10:39 AM
I just saw this new "Yahoo Answers" link when I checked my Yahoo mail this morning. I decided to see whether people had questions about detailing related topics. I`ve seen some pretty stupid answers for sure.

http://answers.yahoo.com/

" Wax is actually not good for the car. I just got a 2006 Civic and they told me NOT TO WAX IT! Like ever, if possible."

"Most new cars have been clearcoated (a clear paint sealer) and don`t require polish, and only need to be waxed."

"Use a wax then a polish for a wet look."

"there is nothing you can do about the swirl marks that I know of."

Question: How do I keep my car`s gloss from deteriorating?

" wax. not 2 much or u will mess it up. also, dont drive in bad weather."

" And after the wax job only wipe the car with plain water no soap and allways dry with a suede hand towel (chamois)"

My favorite:

Question: Do you really need to wax your car?

" not really

doesnt really do anything

i think its a pain in the *** to do cause like its really greasy n hard to like rub in n stuff"

imported_flatstick
03-04-2006, 10:44 AM
[quote name=`White95Max`]I just saw this new "Yahoo Answers" link when I checked my Yahoo mail this morning. I decided to see whether people had questions about detailing related topics. I`ve seen some pretty stupid answers for sure.

http://answers.yahoo.com/

I will have to say it is sad that most people do not have the correct information. maybe if they only knew that it really is not that hard to keep their finish looking good and protected. they will not be in the class of cars and trucks we have here but they would do for the average person`s needs. to each their own I guess ? :sadwavey:

White95Max
03-04-2006, 10:48 AM
Well there`s always a constant stream of misinformation...it`s unfortunate.

nudave
03-04-2006, 01:26 PM
"Wax is actually not good for the car. I just got a 2006 Civic and they told me NOT TO WAX IT! Like ever, if possible."

...I wouldn`t have purchased my 2006 Civic if the dealer told me that.

White95Max
03-04-2006, 02:15 PM
I have to wonder if the dealership is stupid enough to tell someone those exact words. I`m guessing that they told her it didn`t need to be waxed because either:

1) it is clearcoated

2) it has a dealer-applied protectant that lasts the life of the vehicle :rolleyes:

imported_Neothin
03-04-2006, 09:21 PM
my dealer told me that the paint never needed to be waxed. To clean it off, they told me to take a wet chamois to it. Ignorance is bliss...

bumpus
03-04-2006, 10:28 PM
Uh, I think that`s true for Scions, isn`t it Neo? Don`t you just throw it away after it gets dirty? ;) J/K man!!!!!

Otravez
03-05-2006, 11:02 AM
Uh, I think that`s true for Scions, isn`t it Neo? Don`t you just throw it away after it gets dirty? ;) J/K man!!!!!

That coming from someone driving a Plymouth Breeze? :geez J/K

I knew as soon as I saw the title that this thread should make me laugh and it did. But I`m also shaking my head at some of the ignorance that`s in this world.

GearHead_1
03-05-2006, 01:03 PM
I actually got a similar response from my father in law. He bought a brand new Tahoe and I offered to detail it properly to get it started out on the right foot. He told it didn`t need to be touched for 5 years. Now this is a guy who knows me. I`ve rebuilt his vehicles from top to bottom in the past. He knows that I`m and ASE Certified Master Tech and that I spend huge amounts of time/money detailing my cars, he understands that I know cars. He turned me down flat. I was offended. I haven`t offered again. :think:

imported_chpsk8
03-05-2006, 01:22 PM
Oddly enough one of the top sales ads on that page is AutoGeek. :D

Someone should really monitor that board and offer some worthwhile advice. The answers there are painful to read. :(