PDA

View Full Version : Can PC`s and Zaino work together??

bobbyg123
03-04-2006, 12:11 AM
Hey guys,

I`m an amateur (noob) to machine polishing, and I`m at the point where I`d like to purchase a PC and "experiment" on my wifes 2001 (pearl white) Nissan Maxima. We`re going to be selling the Maxima in a year, so I figure it`s the perfect beta test for me. I`m experienced with a fair amount of shop tools, so hopefully my learning curve won`t be too bad. I use Zaino on MY car (2005 Infiniti G35) and love the durability. I`m also heavily invested in the stuff, so if I can use it on my wifes car AFTER I remove the numerous scratches, that would be preferred.

My questions are as follows. I`ll clay the Nissan and get it prepped before using the PC. After I finish that, what pads & products do I need? I really don`t need every imaginable pad to start with, because once again, this isn`t our keeper vehicle. I just need a couple of different sizes/abrasions so I can comfortably remove scratches. There`s also a lot of caked on grime that I CANNOT GET OUT. Can the PC be used on the front bumper and wheel wells to remove this stuff? I`ve searched the site for almost 2 hours but haven`t found a step-by-step "how to" manual on using the PC. What technique should I use? I`ve read that you try and cover 1" per second, but I don`t know whether you use circular or back and forth motions.

Thanks in advance.

imported_Reflections
03-04-2006, 02:03 AM
I`d recommend checking the user guides at www.autopia-carcare.com (How to achieve the perfect shine, or something like that) for some great starter how-tos on using the PC and other processes. I don`t think you`d have much luck getting a PC anywhere near a wheel well. I`d recommend using a non acidic wheel cleaner, then scrub, then rinse, then a trim cleaner, followed by a trim protector for the wheel wells. \

Welcome to Autopia and good luck!

mcmmotorsports
03-04-2006, 04:56 AM
You obviously have the right idea....PRACTICE ON THE WIFES CAR FIRST! :p

imported_Neothin
03-04-2006, 11:50 AM
I go 1"/second in straight lines. I would recommend either poorboy`s or menzerna`s polishes. SSR1/SSR2 (MAYBE SSR2.5) and FPII/IP should handle anything anything you throw at them with the correct pad choice. Use a ring of polish for the first area and then 3-5 drops of polish for each subsequent area that you polish.

good luck!

cwcad
03-04-2006, 12:16 PM
It seems that I keep following Neo but I concur with what he said. I would add that a spritz of Z6 with the addtional Zaino sealant will help in application.

bobbyg123
03-06-2006, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the reply guys, but I have some additional questions:

I`m going to purchase one of the PC kits for $189-$199 on here. I`ll prep the car very well, including claying. Afterwards, I`m not sure what product/pad to select. I really just want to buff out some light scratches on a 5 year old (white car) BEFORE I finish the job by hand applying my Zaino Z2/Z6. What`s good, safe pad/polish option for me to start the job with? PC speed?

Next question. The car has a considerable amount of "road rash" on the front (plastic) bumper. No matter how hard I scrub or how much bug/tar remover I use, I can`t get it out. Can the PC be used to buff this crap out?

Last question. Someone suggested that I use a "ring" of product to start the job, and then just a couple of extra drops per sections. First of all, what constitutes a "section?" Do you mean a full panel? Also, should I spread the product on the pad evenly with my fingers or let gravity take over?

Thanks in advance.

cwcad
03-06-2006, 08:43 PM
last question first bobby g123

A section that every one talks about is usually a two by two section. The way I do it on the hood of my truck is to section it off in quarters. This is what I do. Others may make smaller sections. Try both. See what works for you.

You certainly can smooth those areas with abrassive pad and product. Just remember the Autopian addage, "least aggressive approach first". You know it will not fill in anything but it cetainly can level it to make it less noticeable. Again use your products to test on these areas. The area is already damaged. Can it be hurt more?

If it were me I would purchase ZPC fusion to take care of the light swirls that you are talking about. A dual purpose pad or polishing pad, depending on the severity will do the job for you and work hand in glove with the Aino that you plan on applying later.

That is what I have done and it works for me.

Check this link out as the way that BlkYukon takes care of swirls. Menzerna, Poorboy`s or Zaino Zpc Fusion the process is still the same. http://www.melncal.com/detailing/