PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Dodge Ram Pressure Wash (under hood)

asleepz
03-03-2006, 06:57 AM
Hi All!

I`m a new member trying to learn the most from this wonderful site, but down to business.

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram company truck that I just recieved. I`m wondering if anyone has pressure washed under the hood and had any problems.

I do know of the aluminum foil and protecting electrical connections and the distributor. I was just wondering if anyone ran into any problems.

imported_themightytimmah
03-03-2006, 01:30 PM
I prefer to just use a regular hose, personally. I`d reccomend using a good APC and some brushes on plastic parts, followed by GUNK foaming degreaser on metal parts. You can pressure wash if necessary, but personally I prefer to avoid the risk. If you do decide to pressure wash, use a more open nozzle to cut the pressure down.

asleepz
03-03-2006, 06:55 PM
You`ll have to help me out here, I`m new to detailing lingo. I just found out my Porter Cable 7336SP is refered as a PC... So what`s a APC? Auto Parts cleaner? <- just a guestimate

brwill2005
03-03-2006, 06:59 PM
APC is an acronym for All Purpose Cleaner. As far as pressure washing engines; I have read that engines in modern automobiles are designed to get wet, however, they are not designed to handle high pressure moisture. So, if you choose to use the PW, use caution around electrical components etc. I would recommend a process similar to above, using APC, brushes/agitation, and rinsing with a normal hose.

jimvegas00
03-03-2006, 07:50 PM
I use S100 Total Cycle Cleaner under the hood, garden hose pressure only, no PW. I agree with Brwill and Timmah!. A PW will force water into places it could not normally get to, causing problems down the road.

imported_chpsk8
03-03-2006, 10:05 PM
AsleepZ. Go back to the home page http://autopia.org/ and look to your right near the top of the page. Look for a link called "secret decoder ring" Thats the decoder for this website. It`s acronym city here, that link will help you out.

So is your engine as bad as mine? I my 03 Ram is the dirtiest engine I`ve ever had. I was shocked when I popped the hood this winter. I can`t wait for spring so I can clean it up.

Oh and :welcome

imported_truzoom
03-03-2006, 10:40 PM
I prefer to just use a regular hose, personally. I`d reccomend using a good APC and some brushes on plastic parts, followed by GUNK foaming degreaser on metal parts. You can pressure wash if necessary, but personally I prefer to avoid the risk. If you do decide to pressure wash, use a more open nozzle to cut the pressure down.

You`re back! :dance

White95Max
03-03-2006, 10:56 PM
I clean engines by hand, almost exclusively. If the engine is filthy enough that I`m scared to attempt it by hand, I`ll use low pressure from the hose and then follow up by hand. I would not use a pressure washer on any engine.

asleepz
03-04-2006, 03:43 PM
Alright thanks a lot guys. I guess I`ll just use the pressure washer to blast the bottom side of the hood (went cheap and there is no insulation).

Goleafsgo
03-04-2006, 04:35 PM
I used to work at a dealership and for engines we would just spray everything with APC and let it sit for awhile and come back with the pressure washer.. There wouldn`t be any dirt left after we were done. We didn`t cover anything, but we weren`t right up to the engine with the pressure washer either. We only ever had problems with older cars with distributors out in the open. Otherwise, all the cars started up just fine when we were done. I did probably a 100 cars or so that way and only had one old Honda that didn`t start.. and it started up just fine after leaving it to dry out for about an hour.

On my own engine though I just spray some Super Clean on it and use brushes as necessary and rinse with a garden hose and this works just as well

asleepz
03-05-2006, 05:22 PM
Yeah my 300ZX misses until it dries out whenever I get wash the engine.