PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good compound I can pick up at a local store...if any.

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Guido
03-02-2006, 09:50 AM
I scratched up my car pretty good and GSRstiles was nice enough to give me a write up on how to try and band-aid it. I`d like to get cracking at it this weekend inside a heated garage if I could only find a good compound which I can get my hands on within 2 days. I did a search and it seems most people like menzerna power gloss but I doubt any kind of auto store sells that. Any other ones that a local speed shop might have?

thanks

kpounds
03-02-2006, 09:56 AM
I believe PepBoys and some others carry 3M Perfect-It II Fine Cut Compound. (http://www.autogeek.net/3mperllrubco.html) Don`t know if that`s the `best` product for your vehicle but it should be available locally.

zippymbr
03-02-2006, 09:58 AM
A local Paint store should carry the 3M stuff, or a PEPboys carries Megs DACP

twitch
03-02-2006, 10:11 AM
Both of the aforementioned products should be easily found locally.

Check out Detailer`s product chart (http://www.dano.pocketrubbish.com/detailing/productchart.htm) to get an idea of the Meg`s and 3M line and what you may need to tackle your task.

I did see someone post a comment regarding wearing a mask when using 3M Perfect It II.

Just looking out for you man as you don`t need to be breathing the dust.

I saw pics of the damage and it made me cringe. Good luck with the repair and let us know how it comes out.

BigAl3
03-02-2006, 10:12 AM
or a PEPboys carries Megs DACP

really? the pepboys near me only carry #6, #7, #9, and #26.

racingbeat
03-02-2006, 10:26 AM
3M rubbing compound is the best over the counter I`ve used. Their three step did an excellent job on my old Black car. Meguiar`s ScratchX is decent, lots of elbow grease though. I worked in a heated parking garage last year too. I bought a power inverter for my PC 7424 and connected it to my trunk battery. A one gallon pesticide sprayer (filled with water) $12 from Lowe`s or Home Despot will be my next purchase for the winter garage detailing rountine.

gben
03-02-2006, 10:58 AM
That Detailers product chart is pretty handy for comparisons sake...thanks twitch!

Sherman8r44
03-02-2006, 11:11 AM
Never used it but a lot of people love Mothers PowerPolish. It`s supposed to be similar to OCP, a very versatile and easy to use polish, but better with a PC. Forrest (mothers rep) says that even with a yellow LCM cutting pad it should leave no hazing, and you can follow up with a white pad to bring out more gloss.

zippymbr
03-02-2006, 11:34 AM
really? the pepboys near me only carry #6, #7, #9, and #26.

The one near me in Raliegh carries it.

Joshua312
03-02-2006, 11:45 AM
Ask one of the workers at Pepboys...Sometimes they store the stuff in the back or second level in my case. All their pro-detailing products are upstairs and you need to ask them for it. Good luck! :2thumbs:

twitch
03-02-2006, 12:14 PM
That Detailers product chart is pretty handy for comparisons sake...thanks twitch!You`re welcome. I don`t remember who hosts that but it`s someone on here. I refer to it often!

sspeer
03-02-2006, 12:18 PM
Look at Meguiar`s site and do a dealer find for pro products. I found a body shop supply store around me that I can goto if one of my dozens and dozens of produts on my shelves won`t work LOL

GlossyTundra
03-02-2006, 12:22 PM
The one near me in Raliegh carries it.

Which one are you talking about?

imported_Guido
03-02-2006, 12:56 PM
twitch, thanks for the chart. it really puts things in perspective. and yes, the gashed paint urkes me so much I refuse to drive the car until it`s fixed. :)

thanks for the input everybody.

Accumulator
03-02-2006, 03:48 PM
I`ve found my old stand-by, the now-discontinued 3M PI-III RC (05933), on the shelf at an autobody/paint supply place. Going to those stores drastically expands the definition of "OTC product" ;)

I like the PI-III RC better than the PI-II FCRC but they`re both good. Just don`t breath the carcinogenic dust from the PI-II stuff. Follow either prouduct with something milder, like the equally great (and also discontinued :rolleyes: ) PI-III MG (05937) which was also still on the shelf.

I`d sure stock up on the PI-III stuff while you can still get it.