PDA

View Full Version : 30`s ok to apply touchup paint?

CletusTheDwarf
03-02-2006, 07:44 AM
I have a pretty bad rock chip on my car and I wanted to apply some touchup paint to it today, before I drive 600 miles back to michigan on Saturday. It is about 25 degrees out right now, but I put the car in the garage and we have a space heater i could turn on for a little bit to raise the temps a little bit. Basically, is it ok to apply touchup paint in 35ish degree weather?

BobD
03-02-2006, 08:15 AM
I would follow the recommendations of the touchup manufacturer. Honeslty, I would do it in warmer conditions. But, if you are just looking for some protection to last a little bit until you can redo it I gues you could just go ahead. But keep it above freezing for a while and a hair dryer would for sure help.

CletusTheDwarf
03-02-2006, 08:18 AM
there weren`t any mentions of recommended temps on the touchup paint bottle unfortunatley. and living in the north, i`m not sure how long it`s goign to be until i have warmer temps, so i`d rather just get some protection on there now.

BobD
03-02-2006, 08:23 AM
there weren`t any mentions of recommended temps on the touchup paint bottle unfortunatley. and living in the north, i`m not sure how long it`s goign to be until i have warmer temps, so i`d rather just get some protection on there now.

Yeah, just go for it then. Then come Spring you can always redo it.

CletusTheDwarf
03-02-2006, 08:27 AM
first, how would i redo it in the spring? sand off the touchup paint?

and second, i have the langka blob remover, any harm in using that in the cold?

BobD
03-02-2006, 08:30 AM
first, how would i redo it in the spring? sand off the touchup paint?

and second, i have the langka blob remover, any harm in using that in the cold?

I did not realize this was you from the A2 forums! :lol

The Langka could be a problem in the cold just because you are mixing the two chemicals and the reaction might not happen like it should. To redo it come spring all you would have to do is sand it back down and redo it. :)

CletusTheDwarf
03-02-2006, 08:34 AM
haha! i didn`t even look at your username! the internet is a small world :-p

as for the langka, any harm in trying it, or could it actually do some harm if some chemical process doesn`t work right?

BobD
03-02-2006, 08:45 AM
haha! i didn`t even look at your username! the internet is a small world :-p

as for the langka, any harm in trying it, or could it actually do some harm if some chemical process doesn`t work right?

I thought it sounded familiar and then when you brought up the Langka it hit me.

No harm in trying it at all. If it works it works if not then not. You don`t need that much of the liquid at all so it is not like you will waste a lot of it trying.

velobard
03-02-2006, 09:41 AM
I`d wait for warmer temps. If you do it now it`ll be a bugger to redo it later right without problems. I`d just layer wax or sealant on there to protect it till it can be done right. I`ve seen recommendations for above 60, but my body guy insists on above 70 for best results.

White95Max
03-02-2006, 11:35 AM
I would wait until it`s at least above 60*F.