PDA

View Full Version : how should I analyze the market for a high end detailing operation?

imported_thecarguy
03-01-2006, 12:20 PM
My goal is to have a high end detailing operation in my area. I am new to this so this is what I mean:

$250+ for extremely detailed deatiling

satisfaction guarantee

options like ozone treatment, paint restore

I saw some place in Ohio that keeps your car overnight for optimal conditions - something like that.

I am new to this so please be gentle on me.

Any ideas or insight on the following are MUCH appreciated! :

1- how to analyze whether this concept is sustainable in this area?

2- ideas for high end operation?

3- is a mobile operation more profitable?

Thanks for your help!

SamIam
03-01-2006, 02:06 PM
Where are you located? What are the demographics like?

imported_thecarguy
03-01-2006, 02:48 PM
I`m in the southeast US. City is medium, for the southeast, and there appears to be plenty of good detailers but I have yet to find a Concours-type level of service.

doged
03-01-2006, 04:42 PM
My goal is to have a high end detailing operation in my area. I am new to this so this is what I mean:

$250+ for extremely detailed deatiling

satisfaction guarantee

options like ozone treatment, paint restore

I saw some place in Ohio that keeps your car overnight for optimal conditions - something like that.

I am new to this so please be gentle on me.

Any ideas or insight on the following are MUCH appreciated! :

Thanks for your help!

Test marketing.

Build value / business plan

Yes and No. Weather, Real Estate value, location, EPA, traffic conditions, parking, start-up cost......

A large market defiantly is there for mobile detailing.

Scottwax
03-01-2006, 10:12 PM
What kind of cars do you typically see in your area? Mostly sedans and pickups? Or do you see a lot of European and other high end cars? How about Escalades?

If most of the people are working class, you probably won`t have too many interested in high end detail work.

Check out you local chamber of commerce, I am sure they have done surveys and would know the high end areas that would be receptive to your plans.

imported_ajbarnes
03-02-2006, 05:18 AM
I also agree that you must build value in order to be considered "high end".

Like Scott already mentioned, you`ll need to analyze what type of autos you see around your area and surrounding areas and then market to where there are high end vehicles, because statistically where you see regular mid to low end vehicles, most will not be interested in paying a high amount for detailing. I live in Philadelphia, and the percentage of customer`s I get in Philadelphia is somewhere around 2-5%. Majority of my business is in the surrounding counties which are all not that far from me. I purposely marketed my business to those areas because I know how the consumer`s (majority, not all) in Philadelphia are....quick to spend $99.99 for the "Super Full Detail" at the local car wash.

imported_mirrorfinishman
03-02-2006, 08:54 AM

1- In order to begin to analyze whether this concept is sustainable in your area you must first identify the type of person who needs your high end detailing services. You will find that well educated men and women, such as; doctors, attorneys, and business owners fall into this category. Other professional people will include dentists, financial advisors, and stock brokers. Make a list of the different groups of targeted professionals. These professionals will become the core of your customer base. Keep in mind that this targeted market will usually be equally divided among men and women.

2- How your customers will measure the value of your service will play an important part in establishing your high end operation. For example, when you provide your services at the customers’ location, you provide a value by saving them time. Time that would have been wasted if they had to take their car to a detail shop. You allow them the freedom to go about their daily routine at their own home. You are providing a convenient, valuable, time saving service. When your customers measure value, they are usually looking at the entire experience. Of course they want a good quality job, but they are also interested in other things such as; ease of making an appointment, whether or not you arrive `on-time` and finish `on-time`, friendly yet professional explanation of services, etc. These are all factors that play a part in how a customer will measure the value of your service. In most cases, a high end customer is one that is interested in a high end level of quality, not a low price. A customer who fully understands the true value of your service. Maintain a high level of quality and you will be able to continue to charge a high end price for your services. The key is to constantly strive to provide your customers with a high level of quality that they just cannot get from other detailing businesses.

3- Mobile detailing operations may not always be more profitable, however being mobile does have its advantages.

a, The customer is able to see exactly what is being done with their car. This makes them feel more secure about every step involved in the car detailing process.

b, Free advertising is another advantage gained by detailing at the customer’s location. There is a good chance neighbors will see you and ask about your detailing services.

c, When neighbors approach you on the job, they get an opportunity to personally meet you and to get a good look at the high quality of your work.

d, The potential high end customer has a much better chance to discover you while you are out there working, rather than you trying to figure out how to attract them.

e, With a fixed location detail shop, the customer must take action and bring their car to you. With mobile detailing, you take action and go to the customer.

f, Extremely low overhead costs is one of the biggest benefits of mobile detailing. This is an important factor that cannot be overlooked. With mobile detailing you greatly reduce you costs compared to operating your own shop.

MichaelM
03-02-2006, 08:56 AM
A good start to your market research is to take a look at the property values in your area as well as perhaps median income levels, consumer expenditures, etc.

For the first part you can look up tax records on your countys website usually or hook-up with a realtor. When I do my direct mailings I usually try to target houses with values over $500,000.

For the last part try looking up your area neighborhoods on a website like Yahoo Real Estate. They have a Neighborhood Profile section that will give alot of info about the area.

Anthony O.
03-02-2006, 05:53 PM
First thing.......get some professional quality training. Learn your paints, chemicals and application of products. Then deal with the business end of it because a "100% satisfaction guaranteed" don`t mean diddle if you have no clue what a polish does vs what a glaze does or what it means to "level paint" or what type of pad should be used with what product.

PM me for a top notch training place.

Anthony

imported_thecarguy
03-03-2006, 08:08 AM
wow - this is terrific advice and JUST what I was looking for. Thanks so much guys!

Rgearding car types, income levels and housing values - you see lots of european cars, escalades (mentioend above) and high end traffic. Housing values are high by any measure and lots of doctors and finance/business people around.

You are also absoltelu right about training - of which I will see the right place for top-notch training with thorough training in the science of it as well as the practical. I`m a firm believer that if you understand the "why" you can adapt the "how" when needed.

Thanks again!