PDA

View Full Version : Pad size and PT cruiser

bortass
03-01-2006, 05:13 AM
I`m going to be looking to pick up a PC shortly. I`m hoping I can find a package deal online.

I know that pads come in different sizes and so do the backing plates. My wifes car is a PT Cruiser. Do I need to get 4 inch pads because of the shape of the hood and front wheels?

My car is a Lexus GS and I have a old Nissan pickup I can use for beater practice. Neither of these vehicles have any really tight/odd shaped spots. So I figure the pad size isn`t quite as critical since any size should work.

I`m hoping to be able to get a single set of pads for all vehicles. But I`m clueless on whether or not the PT Cruiser needs to have smaller pads.

spotpad
03-01-2006, 09:10 AM
My advice to you would be to search for PT Cruiser details so you can find out what products and pads were used.

I`ve heard nothing but good feedback regarding Excel Detail pads.

Whatever pads you choose to get, you`ll soon find yourself wanting to try another set. :D

twitch
03-01-2006, 09:29 AM
I did a PT last weekend and didn`t realize all of the crazy shapes along with nooks and crannies that thing had. Dirt hides everywhere especially on the lower door moldings.

I used my PC with 6" Sonus SFX pads. Scottwax had some beautiful pictures of a black G35 and I asked him what pad he used to get into the ridges and he said
the Lake Country Variable Contour pads work well on cars like the G35 and the Jaguar`s with the deep curves in the hood.

I am sure these would work great on the PT as well.

tomstin
03-01-2006, 11:43 AM
I`ve been very happy with the Lake Country 7 1/2 Variable Contact Pads for both PC and Rotary use.

imported_Neothin
03-01-2006, 01:03 PM
If you`re going to be abrasive polishing, I`d get at least a few 4" pads. All the times i`ve tried to polish with large pads, ive either failed or it took entirely too long to do what I wanted to do.

bortass
03-01-2006, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the input.

I take it that smaller pads are more aggressive. How big a deal is this if I`m just doing a light polish on a tight spot? Most of the curves don`t have any major scratches. They do have plenty of swirls though.

Edited because I misread Neothin`s post :idea

twitch
03-01-2006, 02:56 PM
I take it that smaller pads are more aggressive. How big a deal is this if I`m just doing a light polish on a tight spot? Most of the curves don`t have any major scratches. They do have plenty of swirls though.

Taken directly from: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-sfxscr-kit.html

"The smaller pad diameter allows the Porter Cable 7424 to apply more energy to a smaller, concentrated area. The additional energy gets the maximum amount of work out of our SFX polish to remove the scratch."

If you have swirls you will be using an abbrasive polish as Neothin mentioned. The 4" pads will allow you to get into the spots easier and will more than likely require less passes with the PC to remove the marks. You may be able to get away with using a less abbrassive polish as well which I would try to do anyway.

This all makes sense Neothin. I have 4" pads on the way too with the scratch removal kit... sweet :buffing:

thanks!

Mike-in-Orange
03-01-2006, 09:44 PM
This is my `04 Graphite Metallic PT Turbo. I used 6" Sonus DAS pads to apply both polish (#80) and sealant, and used MF bonnets over an orange DAS pad to remove the sealant. Of course I had to hit the really tight areas by hand, but you have to do that on any car.

I have a set of 4" pads but only use them on concentrated areas that need some extra oomph. You can actually generate some decent heat with 4" pads on a PC using speed 6 and some heavy pressure. I was a bit surprised! Needless to say, the 4" stay off the Cruiser for general work.

http://www.fernfactorypictures.com/cruiser/detailed/rt_side.jpg

twitch
03-01-2006, 10:25 PM
This is my `04 Graphite Metallic PT Turbo. I used 6" Sonus DAS pads to apply both polish (#80) and sealant, and used MF bonnets over an orange DAS pad to remove the sealant. Of course I had to hit the really tight areas by hand, but you have to do that on any car.

I have a set of 4" pads but only use them on concentrated areas that need some extra oomph. You can actually generate some decent heat with 4" pads on a PC using speed 6 and some heavy pressure. I was a bit surprised! Needless to say, the 4" stay off the Cruiser for general work.

http://www.fernfactorypictures.com/cruiser/detailed/rt_side.jpg

Very nice! :clap:

bortass
03-02-2006, 05:10 AM
Wow, that`s an great looking car. It sounds like I`m ok with 6 inch pads then. I can get 4 inch pads later if I find I need them.