PDA

View Full Version : Wax? Polish?

uforia
02-27-2006, 03:30 AM
I usually wash my car every 2-3 weels, and then wax every 2nd time. Would it be ok to wax after each wash say every 2 weeks or would it be a waste? I currently use Meguairs NXT Wax and its heaps easy to apply and looks great

My car is only a couple years old and has some light swirl marks which I understand a Polish will help with. But then after I have applied a polish, do I only polish again say 6 months later when I get swirls again? Or can i polish with waxing say every month?

While looking at some wedding cars recently I noticed how nice and shiny the cars were and asked the guy what he used. He used Sonax polish only everytime? but being a polish would this be bad?

imported_steveo3002
02-27-2006, 04:39 AM
yes you could use the nxt wax every 3 weeks after washing...theres 2 other nxt products that may intrest you, speed detailer can be used to freshen up the look after a wash or some folk use every other day to remove minor finger prints etc(not heavy soiling) theres also nxt spray wax which can be used to quickly top up the protection on your finish

you will only polish when you need to remove defects..with good washing methods like a 2 bucket wash and a good mitt you should only need to deal with swirls every 6 months or so

Lowejackson
02-27-2006, 12:33 PM
Welcome to Autopia

Just to add to steveo3002 reply, the shine comes from the prep or polishing stage but concentrate on the washing phase to reduce the need for polishing

White95Max
02-27-2006, 12:52 PM
While looking at some wedding cars recently I noticed how nice and shiny the cars were and asked the guy what he used. He used Sonax polish only everytime? but being a polish would this be bad?

Polishing too often can be bad, but it depends on how aggressive the polish is. A light polish can be used very frequently without any significant effect on the paint, but a compound like Poorboy`s SSR3 shouldn`t be used more than a few times on one area IMO.