PDA

View Full Version : Better way to grow my business: Carpet Extractor or Steam Cleaner?

Pages : [1] 2

gtbaka
02-25-2006, 11:20 PM
I`m not sure where to put this, but I suppose it`s business related.

My predicament is that I have everything I could ever need to detail the exterior of a car, but the interior, I`m limited to my wet/dry-vac, brushes, product and elbow grease. My next substantial purchase within my budget is a carpet extractor.

However, after looking up some old threads, I got to thinking: what if I bought a steam cleaner instead. although I won`t be able to clean carpet and upholstery as well, I think the steam cleaner might afford more versatility in it`s myriads of uses. And it just might pay for itself much sooner, if I can offer more services like steam cleaning an engine, jambs, everything and anything including being a substitute for an extractor for the time being.

The only downside of the steam cleaner is that it would be a `cheaper` version than what I would like to have in the future. The carpet extractor though, would be something I could use for a much longer period before upgrading, or simply replacing.

I don`t know... anyway, at my early stages of growing my business, what would be a better investment? A Steam Cleaner or a Carpet Extractor?

Accumulator
02-26-2006, 09:51 AM
I`d get the extractor first and I`d get a good one.

Or look into one of those combination steamer/extractors. There`ve been some recent threads about them.

jimmybuffit
02-26-2006, 04:13 PM
Not surprisingly, Accumulator gets it right. Get a high quality extractor. Clean, odor free carpets are essential.

I waited Three Years before getting a professional steamer...

Think Century 400 Sensei...

Jim

gtbaka
02-26-2006, 04:30 PM
Unanimous so far. I guess that`s where I was leaning in the first place. An extractor seems essential. How has a steam cleaner affected your business after you`re finally getting it though?

Accumulator
02-26-2006, 05:59 PM
Heh heh, Not surprisingly, Jimmy Buffit gets it right :D

...Think Century 400 Sensei...

gtbaka- Not being a pro, I can`t really say what it`ll do for your business. But being able to do a better/quicker/easier job on interiors just *has* to be beneficial, huh?

Note that you`re gonna need two circuits for that Sensei to avoid tripping breakers/blowing fuses. Pretty big draw. Just used mine to do my wife`s floormats, sure beats the old Bissell units I used to use, let alone a wet/dry vac. Note that my fancy new steamer didn`t get used for this job, sheesh, I haven`t used it at *all* since it got here :o

silverline
02-26-2006, 06:31 PM
I would take a quality commercial vapor steamer over an extractor any day of the week. A vapor steamer simply has so many more uses than an extractor, all while maintaining very professional results (equal to or better than an extractor in many instances). While an extractor certainly has a place in my detailing arsenal, I utilize my vapor steamer 99% of the time. With the exception of large spills, the steamer is able to remove most all other types of stains in carpeting and cloth seats. I use it to clean every aspect of an interior from the dash, vents, door jambs, headliner, leather, carpets, all plastic and vinyl, upholstery, and you can`t beat it when cleaning all the nooks and crannies that are present in vehicles!! I honestly only used my extractor a few times in 2005. Ask most any professional who has used a steamer, and they will tell you they couldn`t imagine not using one because of the awesome results it gives and the time it saves them. Once you use one, you won`t want to go back!

Whether purchasing an extractor or vapor steamer, make sure you buy a quality commercial grade model. The old saying, "you get what you pay for" certainly applies in this case. Either unit you choose is going to be expensive, but you have to look at it like an investment. If it saves you time, and gives you professional results...how can you not afford to buy it. It will pay for itself and help you gain new clients with the quality each provides.

My vote is 100% for a vapor steamer. As mentioned, there are so many more uses for it. Plus, unlike an extractor, a vapor steamer will not soak the carpets. Everything is completely dry by the time I`m finished detailing a car, and many clients comment on this feature alone. Many clients are also intrigued and impressed when they see me cleaning their car with a steamer as well. They equate using steam with very clean and disinfected surfaces, and for good reason. Just can`t say enough good things about vapor steamers. Good luck with whichever method you choose.

Regards,

Matt Williams

Silver Lining Detail

doged
02-26-2006, 06:45 PM
I would take a quality commercial vapor steamer over an extractor any day of the week. A vapor steamer simply has so many more uses than an extractor, all while maintaining very professional results (equal to or better than an extractor in many instances). While an extractor certainly has a place in my detailing arsenal, I utilize my vapor steamer 99% of the time. With the exception of large spills, the steamer is able to remove most all other types of stains in carpeting and cloth seats. I use it to clean every aspect of an interior from the dash, vents, door jambs, headliner, leather, carpets, all plastic and vinyl, upholstery, and you can`t beat it when cleaning all the nooks and crannies that are present in vehicles!! I honestly only used my extractor a few times in 2005. Ask most any professional who has used a steamer, and they will tell you they couldn`t imagine not using one because of the awesome results it gives and the time it saves them. Once you use one, you won`t want to go back!

Whether purchasing an extractor or vapor steamer, make sure you buy a quality commercial grade model. The old saying, "you get what you pay for" certainly applies in this case. Either unit you choose is going to be expensive, but you have to look at it like an investment. If it saves you time, and gives you professional results...how can you not afford to buy it. It will pay for itself and help you gain new clients with the quality each provides.

My vote is 100% for a vapor steamer. As mentioned, there are so many more uses for it. Plus, unlike an extractor, a vapor steamer will not soak the carpets. Everything is completely dry by the time I`m finished detailing a car, and many clients comment on this feature alone. Many clients are also intrigued and impressed when they see me cleaning their car with a steamer as well. They equate using steam with very clean and disinfected surfaces, and for good reason. Just can`t say enough good things about vapor steamers. Good luck with whichever method you choose.

Regards,

Matt Williams

Silver Lining Detail

Completely agree....... I never understood why anyone would use a extractor for automotive interior over a vapor steam?

Accumulator
02-26-2006, 07:17 PM
Note: please don`t take the following as an :argue Just discussing the two devices. Different situations call for different tools.

..I never understood why anyone would use a extractor for automotive interior over a vapor steam?

Because the extractor sucks the dirt (and water/solution/whatever) out. I can see using a steamer for some jobs (that`s why I just bought a better one, cost more than my Sensei extractor IIRC) but for stuff like mud, salt, and the like, especially when it`s really built up in the fibers, I want the extractor so I can get it up and out of there. When I tried my DeLonghi steamer (not as powerful as my new one, but it is in the 75psi range) on stuff the dogs tracked into the minivan, it just wasn`t the right tool for the job. A combination of steamer and extractor, like the one that`s recently been discussed here, would`ve been great, but I only had the two separate devices. It was awkward to use them both at the same time.

I can`t remember ever getting interior carpet/etc. so wet that it didn`t dry right away; just gotta watch you don`t oversaturate things and that you always do thorough extraction before adding more liquid. Extractors sure aren`t idiot-proof and there *is* a learning curve. The floormats I extracted this afternoon are dry and back in the car, and there`s no way I could`ve done them with just a steamer; my wife had kids in the car, think "heavy winter mess", I was sucking some thick [stuff] out of them.

Guess that IMO it`s just not fair to say "extractor *OR* steamer". Both have their place and some people are gonna find one more useful than the other whichever way you go.

gtbaka
02-26-2006, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the counter-points Matt. I guess what commercial grade steamers would you consider quality investments?

gtbaka
02-26-2006, 09:54 PM
Note: please don`t take the following as an :argue Just discussing the two devices. Different situations call for different tools.

Because the extractor sucks the dirt (and water/solution/whatever) out. I can see using a steamer for some jobs (that`s why I just bought a better one, cost more than my Sensei extractor IIRC) but for stuff like mud, salt, and the like, especially when it`s really built up in the fibers, I want the extractor so I can get it up and out of there. When I tried my DeLonghi steamer (not as powerful as my new one, but it is in the 75psi range) on stuff the dogs tracked into the minivan, it just wasn`t the right tool for the job. A combination of steamer and extractor, like the one that`s recently been discussed here, would`ve been great, but I only had the two separate devices. It was awkward to use them both at the same time.

I can`t remember ever getting interior carpet/etc. so wet that it didn`t dry right away; just gotta watch you don`t oversaturate things and that you always do thorough extraction before adding more liquid. Extractors sure aren`t idiot-proof and there *is* a learning curve. The floormats I extracted this afternoon are dry and back in the car, and there`s no way I could`ve done them with just a steamer; my wife had kids in the car, think "heavy winter mess", I was sucking some thick [stuff] out of them.

Guess that IMO it`s just not fair to say "extractor *OR* steamer". Both have their place and some people are gonna find one more useful than the other whichever way you go.

I agree. And both will have a place in my arsenal. I guess the point of my original post was which should I get first? More specifically, which will get returns faster and thus justify the cost for such an early stage in my business?

A machine that would help me do my work more efficiently and make customers happier would generate more revenue and in turn help me to get the complimentary machine faster.

doged
02-27-2006, 07:37 AM

LOL............I think we have different soil in California compared to the rest of the country. Must be the Gold minerals!!!

silverline
02-27-2006, 07:51 AM
I agree. And both will have a place in my arsenal. I guess the point of my original post was which should I get first? More specifically, which will get returns faster and thus justify the cost for such an early stage in my business?

A machine that would help me do my work more efficiently and make customers happier would generate more revenue and in turn help me to get the complimentary machine faster.

To answer your question, I utilize a Vapor Master 3000. This unit is not cheap, however, there are many nice features that come with it. First, it heats up very quickly (about 10 minutes at most), holds pressure very well when in use, comes with numerous attachments for different uses, and lasts a very long time on one tank of water. Knock on wood, but this unit has not failed me yet with one exception. It is sent in for yearly service, and the only time it did go down was because of a defective part that was installed during service. They replaced the part promptly and everything was back to normal. Definitely a quality unit. If you do end up going with a vapor steamer, make sure you find a very high quality commercial grade unit. Many people who have had bad experiences with them, have purchased a second rate model for a couple hundred bucks and wonder why the thing didn`t perform well in the first place and died after only a few months. Remember, you get what you pay for, and by spending the money for a quality unit that is made to withstand daily use for hours at a time; will not only save you time and money in the long run but you`ll also see much higher results.

Now onto your first question about which unit will benefit you the most in your new business. For me, this is a no brainer after comparing the two. Again, only my opinion so take it for what it`s worth. Here is a list of the uses that each of them perform within my own business.

Vapor Steamer:

Doors

Dash

Vents

Console and cup holders (Usually the dirtiest area, works awesome for this)

Leather

All Plastic and Vinyl

Seatbelts

Nooks and Crannies

Carpet

Cloth Seats

Headliner

Door Jambs

Windows

Red Stains in conjuction with a Red Dye Remover(Steam works great for lifting the stain)

Heated Extractor:

Carpet

Cloth Seats

Pros and Cons for each method:

Vapor Steamer:

Pros: Very versatile machine, saves time and money, provides very professional quality results, leaves very little moisture in carpets and seats, can clean the entire interior with very little use of chemicals, eliminates the need for an air compressor, cuts down on the cost of chemicals, interior is totally dry upon completion of job, Disinfects and kills bacteria and odors leaving a "clean" smell, many customers love the idea of using steam to clean their car, works great on red stains (when used with a red dye remover), able to remove nearly all types of stains

Cons: Isn`t the best option for large spills in carpets, can be an expensive investment, can discolor plastic and leather if used incorrectly

Heated Extractor:

Pros: Provides professional results, a great option for extremely dirty and muddy carpets, great for cleaning large spills

Cons: Can be an expensive investment, can be hard to reach certain areas with the extraction head, can only be used for carpets and cloth seats, units can be very heavy to lift in and out of truck or trailer, leaves quite a bit of moisture behind, many have long heat up times, higher shipping due to weight when sending in for regular servicing.

Please don`t get me wrong by thinking I`m telling you to get one or the other. As mentioned in my first post, both an extractor and vapor steamer plan an important role within my operation. You asked which unit will benefit you the most and which one net you the highest return. In my opinion, the vapor steamer is definitely the way to go when deciding which to buy first. I use my vapor steamer on a daily basis for hours at a time, and only use my extractor for very specialized circumstances which usually amount to maybe 4-5 times a year. After building up your funds again, then go out a find a quality extractor. Again, all these points mentioned above are my opinion only. Investigate both options before moving forward to see which is best for your particular situation. Good luck with your new business.

Best Regards,

Matt Williams

Silver Lining Detail

Accumulator
02-27-2006, 09:46 AM
Heh heh, looks like we`re all really in agreement :D You gotta buy what`s best for *your* situation/business.

And yeah, speaking in the middle of an Ohio winter, I bet people in warmer locales have totally different needs!

FWIW, I just bought THIS STEAMER (http://www.daimer.com/comfiles/pages/31.shtml) . It was the next step up from the DeLonghi model that didn`t cut it for me. In hindsight, the money I spent on lesser steamers was pretty much wasted as I ended up buying the expensive one after all.

BTW, the steamers *must* be mighty good at "red stains". I keep hearing that from users and vendors both. Not something that matters to me, but it`s interesting that people are so enthused about this ability. Probably a great thing for you pros who have to deal with who-knows-what.

silverline
02-27-2006, 10:02 AM
Accumulator, I never noticed you were from Ohio. I`m about 45 minutes northwest of Columbus. Where do you live?

Know what you mean about Ohio Winters! This winter has been sort of wierd weatherwise, yet has still brought in some nasty vehicles with salt and sludge.

Accumulator
02-27-2006, 10:15 AM
SilverLine- I`m further north but not way up there in Cleveland or anything. Sure glad I don`t have to deal with Lake Effect snow!

Yeah, this winter is, a lot sloppier than usual in some ways, with no hard freeze there seems to be more mud/sludge/etc. And I`m just *killing* my snowtires driving on dry pavement all the time.

Looking over your list of what-does-what, I`m reminded of all the nasty interior stuff you pros have to deal with :eek: