PDA

View Full Version : Using PoorBoy products by hand?

99atlantic
02-25-2006, 12:33 PM
I`m thinking of giving PoorBoy`s product lineup a try - I`m going to be coming from using Zymol on my black G35 and 911 for the last few years.

What I`m tentatively thinking of doing is washing, then SSR2.5, SSR1, finish with natty`s blue.

If those are applied by hand (I just don`t feel like or have the confidence to use a buffer, heh) will the results still be as good as what I read the reviews on here, or will they be lackluster/have trouble removing/too much marring/etc... etc...

stilez
02-25-2006, 12:55 PM
By hand, I think that`s a good lineup.

Poorboy`s also tend to work well in the sun, too. You will notice a very clean surface between washings with Natty`s Blue as it repels grime very well.

If your marring is rather minimal, I think you will be ok. Check out this tool for hand polishing:

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66324&highlight=pal

I don`t know how I ever did without it.

1 Clean WS6
02-25-2006, 01:00 PM
...will the results still be as good as what I read the reviews on here...

To be blunt...no.

99% of the reveiws about those products on this site had the products applied by machine (either rotary or DA). The Natty`s will be fine by hand application but the SSR`s will not produce the same results you have seen.

99atlantic
02-25-2006, 01:02 PM
By hand, I think that`s a good lineup.

Poorboy`s also tend to work well in the sun, too. You will notice a very clean surface between washings with Natty`s Blue as it repels grime very well.

If your marring is rather minimal, I think you will be ok. Check out this tool for hand polishing:

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66324&highlight=pal

I don`t know how I ever did without it.

It looks interseting; aside from reduced hand strain, are there other benefits to it?

aaron33
02-25-2006, 09:27 PM
Yes, go for that polishing pal. Wolfgang also makes one. You will be able to go further rather than with just an applicator and hand. But realistically, you won`t be removing much swirls even with the polishing pal. You will be able to repair marring (from idiots leaning against your car) and very fine swirls with a polishing pal and SSR2.5. But any more and you`ll need a PC at least. Even with a PC, swirls do take a lot of effort.

SSR1 by hand on the other hand (pun intended) is lovely! Used after claying, you`ll get a super squeaky and smooth finish! Try it out!

specs
02-25-2006, 11:24 PM
i have used all those products by hand, and they were all very easy to use. all except 2.5, it gave alot of hazing, but the ssr1 took care of that. nattys blue was very easy to apply. gluck!

Acura_RL
02-26-2006, 08:51 AM
The LC Polishing Pal is an excellent tool when to have around. I will never part with my kit.

gpm4
02-26-2006, 11:13 AM
i have the wolfgang that i use frequently, it seems to really do a good job. if u must do it by hand that is! lol

Sherman8r44
02-26-2006, 11:59 AM
Don`t forget our forum sponsor Danase` has the same thing (http://danase.com/lacomahapadk.html) (they`re all made by LCM).

Acura_RL
02-26-2006, 01:22 PM
I prefer the one from Danase (which is where I got mine) as you get 4 different types of pads: grey finishing, white light cut, blue medium cut, yellow heavy cut. Other places like pinnacle give you just 4 orange pads.

Glossy McGlosserton
02-27-2006, 11:53 AM
Are all four pads really useful by hand? The Pinnacle kit has two orange and two grey pads, and right now it`s on special, with no extra shipping cost.

Acura_RL
02-27-2006, 06:50 PM
Yes they are. I used the Yellow pad with Scratch X and the white pad with #7 (helps cut through any excess film left on the paint). Then I used the gray for applying #26. Makes life a whole lot easy.

Dirt_Turbo
01-21-2008, 10:21 PM
so its official PB SSR1 can be used as a final polish to remove marring and swirls then follow through with a sealant / wax ?

my paint is in good condition no swirls 90% gone but im wondering if claying and if SSR1 would be good to remove contamination / bonded dirt in clear coat im fussy thats all and i want a smooth as glass finish

Big Leegr
01-22-2008, 04:30 AM
SSR1 is not very abrasive, so depending on what "90% gone" leaves (I`m guessing it would be the very deep marring left-which SSR1 won`t fix) that combo may work for you. As you mentioned, SSR1 is a final polish, used to increase gloss/clarity. Clay and SSR1 followed by the sealant/wax can be a good combo for a car that`s in really good shape. (More so if you have a buffer.)