PDA

View Full Version : Hand Polishing with SSR 2.5

sdmorris78
02-25-2006, 10:07 AM
My car is coming up on about 10 years old, and I`d like to perform some polishing to get rid of swirls, and make it look as nice as I can. A machine buffer won`t fit into my budget right now, so I was wondering if anybody has had an success with hand polishing. I don`t mind taking my time and putting effort into my car, but can anyone tell me if I can expect to get anywhere near the results of a machine polishing? Is there a different kind of polish I should be looking at? Should I use the same foam pads that a person would use on a machine, or one of the regular cotton covered foam pads? Any advice from someone who`s tried this would be appreciated.

Joshua312
02-25-2006, 10:28 AM
Alot of people here often say 1Z Einszett is a good polish to use by hand...Lemme find the link for you a second.

--- Okay, well to answer your first question, the results will probably not be comparable to using a porter cable. But since it doesnt fit your budget quiet yet here are some links. You might also want to use the search function...Try terms like "Hand Polishing" "Polishing Pal"

Polishing Pal Applicator:

http://autogeek.net/polishing-pal.html

1Z Polishes:

http://www.1z-usa.com/sys-tmpl/paintwork/

Just found this link also....A review by Sean and some pics:

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66324&highlight=polishing+pal

aaron33
02-25-2006, 09:29 PM
To get to the point, no. You won`t get ANYWHERE near the swirl removal capability of a PC and SSR2.5. You can remove marring. But not swirls. Even with a PC, it takes me over 7 passes with pressure and high speed "6" to remove swirls. You`ll be doing it forever by hand. The polishing pal will help avoid hand cramps though. :)

imported_SHICKS
02-26-2006, 06:03 AM
SSR2.5 will probably make things worse as it`s pretty abrasive and would not break down hand very easily.

By hand I would forget trying to remove the swrils, but hide them instead. I know it`s not ideal, but unless your arm can move at 5000 RPM for about an hour, I doubt you`ll remove anything.

Check the local forums maybe there is a member close to you wityh a PC.

Steve

percynjpn
02-26-2006, 06:28 AM
[quote name=`Joshua312`]..Lemme find the link for you aAlot of people here often say 1Z Einszett is a good polish to use by hand.

QUOTE]

That`s correct; 1Z Extra Paintwork Cleaner, Paint Polish and others are very easy to use by hand, with excellent results.

imported_Neothin
02-26-2006, 07:45 AM
until you can afford some pads and a pc, a heavy carnauba topped glaze would hide a good amount of your defects. RMG/IW would look great, last a heck of a long time, and cover up alot of the defects present in your paint.

titsataki
02-26-2006, 05:20 PM
see what I have noticed that polishes break down with PC due to the heat that it generates. It is very hard to do the same by hand. Same thing the rotary creates even more heat so it can be used for even better results. I only used a Makita rotary a few times and it scares me off so I stick with my PC. Now to be honest for a 10 year old car it will have a fair amount of stuff on unless you detail and polish it on a regular basis. It may be a good idea to have a pro do some polishing and create a nice base where you can use LSP products by hand.

Cheers

Nick

PS: welcome. I am a newbie as well. Read up here lots of info to learn and digest. Keep asking questions. :)

percynjpn
02-27-2006, 06:37 AM
[quote name=`titsataki`]It may be a good idea to have a pro do some polishing and create a nice base where you can use LSP products by hand.

Cheers

QUOTE]

I disagree; if you`re willing to put the time and effort into it, you can get excellent results by hand polishing. If you use the right products, with a quality COTTON TERRY applicator or folded towel, work it in well, and follow up with the right steps, you`ll be impressed. Save the MF and foam apps for the final polish and LSP.

I now use a Cyclo polisher; I also have two DA polishers, but I`ve spent most of my "detailing life" working it by hand. In fact, whenever I have the time, I still enjoy polishing by hand - it takes a bit more time and and a lot more work, though.