PDA

View Full Version : New guy a few questions

reflections7
02-23-2006, 07:57 PM
Didnt find the exact answer doing a search.

What is the best product you use for black plastic trim. Like door handles and the plastic in front of the windshield. I dont use armor all on anything. I do like formula 303 for the interior and tires. It isnt shiney but makes that stuff look good and add protection.It doesnt do a great job on the other stuff including mirrors. see photo.

Also I use windex or denatured alchol for compound-wax removal is there something better ? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/reflections7/bl1.jpg

Joshua312
02-23-2006, 08:05 PM
Poorboys Trim Restore: http://www.poorboysworld.com

wannafbody
02-23-2006, 08:34 PM
Tropicare non silicone tire dressing works great on hard black plastic-lasts for months and doesn`t streak or run in the rain. I think the Zaino Z16 is similar.

imported_Neothin
02-23-2006, 09:33 PM
Poorboys Trim Restore: http://www.poorboysworld.com

:2thumbs: Just don`t forget to buff off as much excess as you can a few minutes after application. If not, the first rain that you get is going to make it run like crazy.

chml17l
02-23-2006, 09:45 PM
I`d skip the Windex as far as wax removal, but the denatured alcohol should work well.

Mark77
02-23-2006, 11:33 PM
How about AIO? Could that be used on plastic?

chml17l
02-24-2006, 08:09 AM
How about AIO? Could that be used on plastic?

AIO is a great choice and I would top that with your favorite sealant.

White95Max
02-24-2006, 09:26 AM
AIO and Trim Restorer are great on trim.

Don`t use Windex on your paint. Personally, I`d say don`t use it at all. It smells terrible and leaves tons of streaks every time for me. Plus, the ammonia fumes are no good for you.

Mark77
02-24-2006, 12:57 PM
AIO is a great choice and I would top that with your favorite sealant.

You mean I can use a sealant on plastics if I use AIO first? Wouldn`t the sealant stain the trim, like it would without AIO? :think2 I have to try that, would be great if I could find something to put on the trim that lasts more than few washes at most.

chml17l
02-24-2006, 01:18 PM
You mean I can use a sealant on plastics if I use AIO first? Wouldn`t the sealant stain the trim, like it would without AIO? :think2 I have to try that, would be great if I could find something to put on the trim that lasts more than few washes at most.

Yes, you can use sealants on plastics. No, you don`t need to use AIO first, but it is a good prep because of it`s chemical cleaners. I`ve used SG, OCW, and Detailers Pride sealant without any stains. There are more waxes out there that can stain trim than most sealants.

Joshua312
03-31-2006, 11:19 AM
Sorry to revive an old thread...Just wondering how you guys are applying Trim Restore to use only the amount of product you need, are you using the squeeze top and putting some onto an applicator or misting the product onto a applicator. Ive been squizing it on, and dont want to be wasting too much of it when not needed. Thanks

White95Max
03-31-2006, 11:21 AM
I used to use the squeeze top to squeeze some TR on the applicator, but I recently bought a bunch of chemical-resistant bottles from USPlastics and now I have my TR in a spray bottle. I haven`t used it since I moved it to the spray bottle, but I imagine it will work every bit as effectively, but with less product used.