PDA

View Full Version : Leaky Garden Hose?

brickyardz
02-17-2005, 02:17 PM
I live in NJ. Every year when the weather starts to warm up, I go to clean my car and the same thing happens. From keeping the hose out during the winter, it wrecks it.It leaks everywhere. I need to buy a new hose. Are there any ones that are better? Or can I just go to the local Home Depot and pick up a regular garden hose?

crobinso
02-17-2005, 02:28 PM
WalMart has (or at least, had) an excellent hose, marketed by Better Homes and Gardens. The one I bought was 125 feet long, and cost $24.95 in 2003. Dunno if it`s still available. It looks and works as good today as it did then.

Charles

CharlesW
02-17-2005, 02:35 PM
I live in NJ. Every year when the weather starts to warm up, I go to clean my car and the same thing happens. From keeping the hose out during the winter, it wrecks it.It leaks everywhere. I need to buy a new hose. Are there any ones that are better? Or can I just go to the local Home Depot and pick up a regular garden hose?If you can`t store it inside where it doesn`t freeze, try draining it in the fall. Be sure that the hose is open at both ends. Not connected to the hose bib, (you can destroy a hose bib), and no nozzle or shut off on the other end.
Don`t leave the water turned on with the hose connected and shut off in the hot summer sun for any length of time. That will often cause a hose blowout.:)
There are lots of different quality hoses and you will pay accordingly. I just use a mid price range hose from Menard`s or Wal*Mart. Get at least a 5/8" hose to have better pressure at the nozzle.

Charles

Bob
02-17-2005, 04:00 PM
Yeah man, you got to drain and store that thing. I left mine out one year just because I got too far behind in getting ready for winter and then the hose was under a foot of snow. The ice tore it up pretty bad. I got a new one and now I make sure to drain it and store it before that happens. The old one I cut in half and use just for the car. LOL It is perfect length to reach my drive without ll of the access hose getting in my way. ;)

But Lowes or Home Depot should have plenty of items to fit a leaky hose.

CARGUY
02-17-2005, 05:09 PM
My old garden hose quit about 15 years ago and luckily I ran across a Gates brand hose at one of the home improvement centers. Gates is the company that used to supply the gas stations with the hoses that rang the bell (twice) when a car would come in for gas (in the olden days). I figured, "if cars and big trucks can drive over those hoses all day and not be destroyed, then I`m onto something really good here for a garden hose". I was right...it`s never been brought inside during the winters and it`s still fine. Sorry I can`t give you a price for what they cost now or where to get one but maybe you can check the internet.