PDA

View Full Version : Removing dents with dry ice???

Scud1373
02-23-2006, 04:07 AM
mmmm... didnt really know where to put this thread so id thought over here would be ok? if not, admins can move it. ok anyway, before any flaming occurs, i want to say that i read this off another site and it seemed to spike my interest so id thought id ask the professionals. i just discovered a ding the size of a nickel on my door and its bugging the hell out of me. so before i decide to spend a hundred bucks at a local dent remover shop, i read on some forum that your suppose to heat up the dented spot, apply dry ice on it with gloves, and the dents suppose to pop back out. yup, thats it and people said it worked. im just curious now if its bs or not. any comments on this ?

Scud1373
02-23-2006, 04:11 AM
o yea i also forgot to add, would this damage the paint or clearcoat in anyway? thanks!

imported_steveo3002
02-23-2006, 04:47 AM
remember if you mess it up it will more than the 100$ at the dent man, if it does work im sure it takes some practice and id sooner play around on a old beater first

jimmybuffit
02-23-2006, 04:49 AM
I`ve actually taken the time (and trouble) to try this. No Luck. None, zip.

Conceptually, this could work, but the very real stress put on the paint could crack it!!!

Not a good idea.

Jim

BobD
02-23-2006, 05:48 AM
I remember seeing this done a few times at an old body shop I used to hang around in. BUT, he would strip the area of paint, heat it with a torch, then use the dry ice to pop the dent out. It was never perfect but it was less body filler he would have to use.

chml17l
02-23-2006, 08:46 AM
Bottom line-- if you want it done right, go and spend the $ on a PDR person with the proper training.

imported_DennisH
02-23-2006, 10:20 AM
I have seen this work on hail dents that are shallow without any kind crease like you would get from a door ding. It doesn’t always work but after a hail storm I will put plain ice cubes on some the shallow dents and have had some luck and the heat from the sun will take out a few more and the remaining gets fix by the body shop.

wannafbody
02-23-2006, 03:37 PM
I tried it with a CO2 fire extinguisher and it didn`t work

MrDetail
02-23-2006, 05:16 PM
A good paintless dent guy is usually under 100 bucks and would be alot safer.

aaron33
02-23-2006, 06:15 PM
This technique was invented before the availability of PDR. With PDR, it is a better method than all the dried ice, filler, panel beater stuff that used to be the only route available. So stick to PDR.