PDA

View Full Version : #80 Vs. OP

RAG
02-22-2006, 04:27 PM
Now that people have had ample opportunity to use OP, I was wondering how it stacked up against #80 in regards to aggressiveness. I love OP, but the popularity of Speed Glaze still tempts me; and on rare occasion, I like to use polish with fillers.

Chan
02-22-2006, 04:47 PM
OP can be as aggressive as #80(I have it sitting in my garage, just need a car to use it on). But the thing is, OP can be more aggressive than #80. OP is as aggressive as the pad you are using.

Chan

Thomas Dekany
02-22-2006, 04:49 PM
best/easiest polish for me. Use it in the sun as well. I love #80 but OP is the king.

Scottwax
02-22-2006, 04:50 PM
Similar, but I think OP is a touch more aggressive. Appearances are similar both leave the paint looking wet, OP a bit more clear, #80 a little richer looking.

RAG
02-22-2006, 07:00 PM
Well, I`ll probably just stick with OP then. And I agree - for OP is KING! Yesterday I trained one of my cleints in how to polish his car himself, and guess what I have him - OP with a PC. It is just too easy to use.

stilez
02-22-2006, 08:51 PM
Here`s how I see it.

Agressiveness and look are very similar however #80 is loaded with oils/fillers (in my experiences) whereas OCP is not. OCP is a bit easier to work with and cheaper. It`s a no brainer for me.

Scottwax
02-22-2006, 09:26 PM
OCP is a bit easier to work with and cheaper.

Actually by the gallon, #80 is a lot cheaper.

I`d say I use OP about 4 times as often as #80 these days.

ptim
02-23-2006, 05:38 AM
This may be a stupid question, what is OP? :hide:

Pats300zx
02-23-2006, 06:56 AM
This may be a stupid question, what is OP? :hide:

Optimum Polish.

EBPcivicsi
02-23-2006, 07:18 AM
Well, I am in the minority here, but I prefer #80 in *most* cases. I don`t have a problem with the "fillers" in #80 because by the time I use it, it will *remove* the defects that I need it to. The "oils" IMO add to the finish and I adjust my LSP accordingly.

If the pad/polisher is equal, then IMO #80 is *more* aggressive, they both finish about the same. The initial bite of #80 is more aggressive, which may be of some concern if you are working on soft paint. Just my opinion.

I find that OP via pc is just plain tedious, it works, but it soaks into the pad and has a never ending work time. Now that certainly plays to your advantage when polishing via the rotary. I actually prefer the OP when working with the rotary, I only use #80 with the PC.

Both have a permanent place in my arsenal and I won`t be caught without either one. There is more of a learning curve with #80, but the Meguiars 80`s series is what I learned on, that is *my* baseline.

Hows that for a clear cut winner? :D