PDA

View Full Version : Black Bmw`s Dull Finish

Bradley
02-21-2006, 11:26 PM
I`m a weekend detailer that has learned a lot from this site. I have been utilizing top of the line products on the six vehicles that I have detailed. Recently I detailed two black BMWs. One a 2001 and the other a 2005. I was amazed at all the swirls and clear coat mares when I put the vehicle under a fluorescent light. It was scary!!!! My procedure was:

1. Spray entire vehicle down thoroughly to get the majority of the impurities off

2. Wash with sheepskin wash mitts and Poorboy’s Slick and Suds utilizing a filtration water system. I ensured that the mitts were rinced constantly

3. Dry with micro fiber waffle weave towels (2)

4. Clay with new ClayMagic fine auto clay (bar separated into 7-8 sections so as to not transfer impurities from one section to another). I utilized a lot of Spray and Shine spray wax so there was no resistance as I clayed.

5. Buffed with clean micro fiber towels (3-4 towels)

6. Noticed the marring looked like someone used sandpaper to dry the vehicle

7. Used Poorboys Polish (1.0) but it did not touch the marring or swirls

8. Used Poorboys Polish (2.5) X 2 , PC, and yellow LC pad with very little progress. Did dull the appearance of the marring and swirls but did not get a good percentage out. I was not comfortable going at it too many more times

9. I followed up with Klasse AIO and sealant (let the sealant cure for 14 hours since I’m in Hawaii and the climate shortens curing time)

10. I washed the vehicle again using the procedures listed above in order to get the 14 hours of dust off the finish

11. I used Souveran liquid wax followed by buffing with numerous micro fiber towels

I was not satisfied with the front hood finish so I did the hood again using Groits Machine Polish 3 followed by a glaze treatment. This seemed to restore the shine to some extent but I was still not satisfied with the final shine even though the customer was very happy.

Please provide advice on bringing back the full shine on black finishes!!!! I have since recently ordered Sonus SFX 1, 2, and 3. I hope this product does the job on future black details that require polishing.

Rickrack
02-22-2006, 08:50 AM
Was this done by hand, PC or rotary buffer?

Could be the pads you were using...

Bradley
02-22-2006, 02:54 PM
I was utilizing a PC with LC pads.

imported_Bence
02-22-2006, 03:33 PM
What speeds?

Pics would be great for further evaluation, and maybe you`ll need a more abrasive polish as well.

Thomas Dekany
02-22-2006, 04:06 PM
for one, you have to follow up the ssr2.5 with a yellow pad with (m2c) ssr2.5 and a white polishing pad or an orange pad. Try getting OC - will work better with the PC, or you may have to improve your skills with the pc. Some paints are harder than others. Sometimes you have to use the rotary to get good results.

budman3
02-22-2006, 05:08 PM
Make sure that you don`t prime the pad when using SSR 2.5. I only use a polishing pad and have no problems removing swirls. Make sure you use the right amount of product, use speeds 5 and 6 with the PC and be sure to work it in slowly and for a long time. This should get you close to a swirl free finish. You may need to follow up with SSR1 and another polishing pad to clean up the finish a little bit. Good luck :bigups

Bradley
02-23-2006, 04:51 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I have come to the conclusion that I was using too much product and not a high enough setting on my PC. The dull finish I was getting was from hazing. I plan to use a lot less product and have my PC set on 5 the next time I have to remove swirls and water spots.

Thanks again.

Thomas Dekany
02-23-2006, 04:53 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I have come to the conclusion that I was using too much product and not a high enough setting on my PC. The dull finish I was getting was from hazing. I plan to use a lot less product and have my PC set on 5 the next time I have to remove swirls and water spots.

Thanks again.

Good!

but even 5 on the pc - in my case is useless. If I use the pc and a for paint correction, the speed is always on 6.