PDA

View Full Version : New car first wash help

divman
02-21-2006, 08:07 PM
I have a new Honda Civic, and will be doing the first wash. I did not get any paint and rust protection from the dealer.

My plan was to wash with Meguiars Gold Class Wash and then clay bar, wash again with Gold Class and then apply Meguiars Gold Class Liquid Wax.

Does this sound good or is there another procedure I should take and other products to include?

I`m deciding on either doing this by hand or sending the car off to a detailer for the first time to get everything done.

gmblack3
02-21-2006, 08:57 PM
Sounds like a good plan and you should be able to handle this yourself.

divman
02-21-2006, 09:01 PM
Thanks, I`ve been reading a lot here and seeing polishing mentioned.

The car is a dark grey, should I look at using a polish product first and then applying the Meg`s GC Wax?

I have read here that the GC Wax may contain stuff which doesn`t allow it to `stick` properly.

Tasty
02-21-2006, 09:02 PM
I would go for NXT instead of Gold Class as I think it is a better product, and would look better on black. You can do this yourself. Get a nice lambswool mitt, use the two bucket method (one for soapy water, and one to rinse the mitt in after washing each area), dry with a nice towel (preferably microfiber), and then begin claying. Use plenty of lubrication when claying to avoid marring the paint. Don`t send it to a detailer for this simple process. With the money you would spend there you can go out and buy some pretty nice supplies and do many washes yourself. Good luck!

divman
02-21-2006, 09:33 PM
Meguiars NXT Wax & Car Wash products?

golftor
02-21-2006, 10:20 PM
The gold class wash is a good product, and you`ll be fine using it. However, it is generally the concensus that NXT is better than gold class wax. The NXT is available over the counter anywhere and it is not that expensive. I`d treat my new car to the NXT if I were you. The gold class isn`t too bad though, if you want to use that. Its main downfall is durability.

divman
02-21-2006, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the info.

I`ll go with this then:

Meg`s Gold Class Wash, Mothers Clay Kit, Meg`s Gold Class Wax.

I couldn`t find a Meg`s Clay kit, so I went with Mothers. Once I finish the GC Wax I`ll switch to NXT.

96GSR
02-22-2006, 09:57 AM
Be sure and read up on the proper wash technique. Make sure you are using the proper towels for drying, buffing, etc. You hadn`t mentioned what you were going to use. You never know..some people go after it with old underwear, etc. LIke golftor said, that gold class wax isn`t the most durable, so you`ll have to reapply often. For what it`s worth, I have a new Pilot and plan on wash, clay, and going with Zaino Z2. Z2 will far outlast something like GC or NXT. But I`ve used NXT, it`s good stuff, just didn`t last for me.

imported_SHICKS
02-22-2006, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the info.

I`ll go with this then:

Meg`s Gold Class Wash, Mothers Clay Kit, Meg`s Gold Class Wax.

I couldn`t find a Meg`s Clay kit, so I went with Mothers. Once I finish the GC Wax I`ll switch to NXT.

If you can still return the GC, I`d go for the NXT, I think you will be much more happy and while it does not last as long as I would like, NXT gives a very good shine for the price. Also swing by Sam`s Club and pick of a bag of Micro Fiber towels :bigups

Steve

divman
02-22-2006, 03:36 PM
I`ll try and do the return for NXT

I have a bunch of microfibre cloths, applicators, big blue 2 waffle weave all stocked up. Ordered all from a local shop, carcaresmart.com.

oh and a few sheepskin wash mitts too.