PDA

View Full Version : GTO is going bye bye...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

SpoiledMan
02-21-2006, 09:35 AM
I just got a news blurb from www.autonews.com that say that the Goat is gone again after this year. It has fallen victim to slow sales. I sure wish they had taken it over the top with the car they had a SEMA 2004 with the wide body and big HP. It would have made for a real collector!

http://ultimategto.com/cgi-bin/showcar.cgi?type=show&pic=/carshows/sema04/04sema3000

Accumulator
02-21-2006, 10:10 AM
That`s too bad. Seems like they almost got it just right, but not close enough for people to really buy `em up. GM has a nasty habit of not getting cars right for the first few years and then killing them off right when/before they get them all sorted out. IMO they didn`t make it special-looking enough to appeal to the target market; hard to sell sleepers in the age of bling.

SpoiledMan
02-21-2006, 10:16 AM
I think the adaption of a widened body would have faired well for the car. It would have allowed some nice rubber out back and wheels with a nice muscular lip on them.

Joshua312
02-21-2006, 10:38 AM
Here is my way of looking at this in a positive persepctive....Get rid of the GTO bring the Firebird back. Look how much hype the Camaro caused, here is the chance for pontiac to bring back the firebird and boost sales. Just my .02 of course

imported_Aurora40
02-21-2006, 10:39 AM
I believe this was decided a while ago. When they axed the 2007 platform it was going to move to. I think the kappa platform? I can`t recall the specifics. But Holden has already said their farewell to the current platform. With nothing to move to, it was sort of unofficially the end of the GTO.

You mentioned one thing I think is odd about the car, that`s the tire width. A car with 400hp needs more than 235-sized rubber. The CTS-V is the same way, apparently wider stuff just doesn`t fit. :nixweiss

Edit: Here`s the Holden release about it from last August:

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?target=http://image.emerald.gm.com/gmnews/viewmonthlyreleasedetail.do?domain=21&docid=16799

It does seem too bad the car is gone. It`s a nice car and a lot of bang for the buck. I wonder how sales have been for 2006? There aren`t a lot of discounts on them or anything.

imported_Aurora40
02-21-2006, 10:50 AM
Here is my way of looking at this in a positive persepctive....Get rid of the GTO bring the Firebird back. Look how much hype the Camaro caused, here is the chance for pontiac to bring back the firebird and boost sales. Just my .02 of course

If they want to boost sales, offer a cheap V6 base model. I`d bet the GTO sells more than the Firebird sold in V8 trim (though I don`t know that for fact).

BobD
02-21-2006, 11:21 AM
The GTO will probably come back with a retro look like everything else is.

SpoiledMan
02-21-2006, 11:43 AM
You mentioned one thing I think is odd about the car, that`s the tire width. A car with 400hp needs more than 235-sized rubber. The CTS-V is the same way, apparently wider stuff just doesn`t fit. :nixweiss

This seems to be a big blow to two otherwise GREAT cars. I have driven both (hard) and I`d buy the V in a heartbeat! The lack of rubber seems to show more with the goat than the V IMO in stock form.

steck
02-21-2006, 01:52 PM
The GTO is the `poster boy` car that totally describes what is wrong with GM today. Cars like the GTO typify the GM slump.

GM has to build cars people want to buy!! `WANT` to buy, with a `gotta have it` factor. as someone pointed out, they should have had a home run here, but fell big time in the `looks` department.

Even the C6, is kinda uninspiring, when they could have went to more extreme exterior shape etc..

one just has to look at dodge, for case in point....although they are fad vehicles, they sell like crazy.

GM has rested on its laurels, and keep relying on the baby boomers (whose parents always bought Gm cars!) but today is different and change is needed.

Look at the Buick Lacrosse, yeah great a 10 yr old V8 , and front drive. When the rest of the world is going to rear drive.....holy `cash` cow.

i`ve rambled enough,, and yes i am GM fan, owning three.

LightngSVT
02-21-2006, 02:05 PM
Seems like they almost got it just right, but not close enough for people to really buy `em up. GM has a nasty habit of not getting cars right for the first few years and then killing them off right when/before they get them all sorted out. IMO they didn`t make it special-looking enough to appeal to the target market;

You took the words right out of my mouth!

TGates
02-21-2006, 03:15 PM
I believe this was decided a while ago. When they axed the 2007 platform it was going to move to. I think the kappa platform? I can`t recall the specifics. But Holden has already said their farewell to the current platform. With nothing to move to, it was sort of unofficially the end of the GTO.

Edit: Here`s the Holden release about it from last August:

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?target=http://image.emerald.gm.com/gmnews/viewmonthlyreleasedetail.do?domain=21&docid=16799

It does seem too bad the car is gone. It`s a nice car and a lot of bang for the buck. I wonder how sales have been for 2006? There aren`t a lot of discounts on them or anything.

Actually, they`re 245/45/17s... not much of a difference, but just a small correction. About the biggest tire you can fit under the car without rolling the fender lips is about 8 inches, which the stock wheels/tires are. The offset on the hub (I think its around 40mm) doesn`t afford much in the way of aftermarket offerings, especially with a lip. There are some, however.

I love my GTO for what it is. It`s so much nicer on the inside than anything else I could get for the price that has 400 hp... which is, well, nothing. I`ll be sad to see it go, but that`ll just mean less cars on the road like mine.

GM needs to take a look at what SRT is doing for Dodge. Those are some very exciting cars, and if the new Charger wasn`t so ugly, I`d be all over an SRT8 Charger. When the new Challenger comes out, it very well may get me out of the seat of my GTO.

1 Clean WS6
02-21-2006, 06:24 PM
I firmly believe had GM called the rebadged Monaro anything but a GTO they would be selling like hotcakes.

Its not a GTO but is still a damn fine car.

TGates
02-21-2006, 06:56 PM
I firmly believe had GM called the rebadged Monaro anything but a GTO they would be selling like hotcakes.

Its not a GTO but is still a damn fine car.

I have to agree with you there. I can admit the looks certainly aren`t for everyone, but since I`ve come up close and personal with mine, I have really grown to appreciate its proportions. It`s all in the details on the car.

Just out of curiosity... what exactly would constitute a GTO? Last I checked, mine was in fact a GTO :xyxthumbs Obviously, it would be more convincing if it weren`t rebadged. However, it does share a lot in common with the original in terms of drivetrain layout, understated looks (we`re talking the original here, not the Judge) and power.

jchetty
02-21-2006, 07:38 PM
If they want to boost sales, offer a cheap V6 base model. I`d bet the GTO sells more than the Firebird sold in V8 trim (though I don`t know that for fact).

exactly, the new mustangs that are selling..alot of them are 6 bangers :2thumbs: ...and about the goat going out with style i believe it, as did the camaro and the transam :spot ...plus i would be all for bringing back the transam....man i kick myself everyday i had the chance to buy a 8 cylinder, 6spd, black on black with i believe t-tops..dont remember it was the final year for cheap...last one on the lot.....and i mean it was so cheap it was probaly stolen :chuckle: .....please bring back the transam...i sooooo want a car with flip up lights :usa

1 Clean WS6
02-22-2006, 06:26 AM
exactly, the new mustangs that are selling..alot of them are 6 bangers

This has always been the reason why Ford sells more Mustangs than Camaros and Firebirds combined...V6 fleet sales. Go look at your local rental car lot (particularly Hertz)and I bet you see countless V6 Mustangs.

Obviously, it would be more convincing if it weren`t rebadged.

That is my main sticking point with the car. No creative effort was applied to it and with a car as important and legendary as the GTO is...that is a travisty.