PDA

View Full Version : Any Last Minute Help / Tips / Words of Comfort?

MDetail
02-20-2006, 10:29 PM
So here`s the story ... I have been working to restore my buddies 88 Rx7 w/ original paint. (It`s actually coming out pretty nice btw.) And in the process alot of people see the change, and want me to do their car(s). Now I JUST started detailing with a pc. And JUST started wanting to detail for $$$ (mostly to bring in some extra money incase the performance install side doesn`t go as planned, but also because I can`t stand to see bad paint on a car.)

A guy walks in today ... long story short, he wants to sell his lift to us. He takes cars, fixes them up, and re-sells them. (He used to be the tenant in the biling we are in now.) We talk for a bit, he asks me generic price quotes for wash wax etc etc. Then he wants me to take a look as his headlights. After I talked to him a bit about what could be done, he sets up an appt. for tomorrow morning!!! (Mind you we haven`t fully moved in, so I havent had time to fully make our price structures, upsell options etc) so I`m kinda playing this one by ear. If he likes my work he is going to be sending me alot of cars to detail in the future.

I don`t know if you can help me with any tips, or any words of comfort. But to be frank, I am a bit scared to be doing my first job for $$$. I dont know if its fear, excitement or both. Any of you guys feel this the first few times? I hope everything goes well tomorrow :) Thanks for your help!

imported_mirrorfinishman
02-21-2006, 09:05 AM
Why not be honest with him and let him know that you haven`t set up your pricing yet, but you would be very happy to do his car at no charge just to show him what you can do. Then, once he gets a chance to see your good work, you can begin to set-up a structured method of pricing. Keep in mind that since he may offer you more work, doing his car at no charge is like giving him a free sample of what you can do.

joburnet
02-21-2006, 12:17 PM
Detailing is pretty simple so as long as you do a thorough job then you have nothing to worry about. I remember the first car that I did for money was only about the third car I ever detailed and I defiantly think they got their money’s worth. It’s probably going to take you about twice as long as it would if you had experience, so allow yourself about 8 hours and just make sure to do a good job.

doged
02-21-2006, 12:44 PM
Make sure you go over the car with the customer when they pick it up. If they have any issues then repair them. What amazes me is the complacency of the majority of people who drive around town with Black (swirled) Mercedes. The Mercedes Dealer in our town gives free washes if you purchase from them. That’s correct, Free (swirls) with every wash.

MDetail
02-22-2006, 12:27 AM
Well I am glad that I know it takes longer at first. It`s really taking a long time because I don`t have any plan of attack down yet, and I am still answering phones at the shop, along with trying to set up the shop. (we aren`t doing customer cars, just friends, and co-workers.) We have also set up a checklist for any damages prior to the car, and will be documenting all work with the digi cam. The guy was a no show, but I know he comes to the auto center every once in a while, but either way, no sweat off my back.

delta
02-22-2006, 06:49 AM
good luck with your shop.

pat

joburnet
02-23-2006, 09:23 PM
Here`s the order of steps that I take when detailing. So far it`s the most efficient I`ve found.

Inside:

1. Vacuum

2. Shampoo

3. Clean/Condition Vinyl Rubber

4. Clean/Condition Leather

Outside:

1. Wheels

2. Wash

3. Clay

4. Dry

5. Clean Door Jambs

6. Polish

7. Tire and Trim Shine

(add in any extras like plastic polish here)

8. Wax

9. Interior and exterior windows

10. Final Check (most important step by far)

MDetail
02-26-2006, 03:24 PM
Awesome, thanks for your help, that looks like a good set up