PDA

View Full Version : Paint Chip/Flake

Mr_Elusive
02-20-2006, 02:57 PM
I have a small chip/flake on my rear bumper, it is the size of a pencil eraser. The paint came off but the primer is still there and its on a flat part. I have the exact touch-up paint for the bumper and fine art brush. How would I fix it? Would I be able to apply the paint with the brushn thinly, let it dry properly, wet sand with 3000 grit, compound, polish, wax?

aaron33
02-20-2006, 07:23 PM
If it is small, then just clean with 50:50 mix rubbing alcohol/water and apply the touch up paint with the brush (I prefer toothpick). Then leave for 20 minutes and come back with a claybar. Use the claybar with lots of QD spray. It`ll level the touchup paint down to the original paint level as well as gloss it abit. If you end up pulling all the paint out, clean the area again and reapply touch up paint. Leave for 40 minutes and try claying again. Don`t let it dry for too long, otherwise the claybar can`t cut it down effectively and you`ll have to use Langka. Please, don`t wetsand before trying this claybar method.

imported_Neothin
02-20-2006, 08:14 PM
I`ve never heard of this clay bar leveling method...

If your touchup paint is from the dealership, it`s probably very thick. This is going to cause the paint to blob. See if you can get a local paint shop to either thin it out or mix you up some properly thinned paint.

aaron33
02-21-2006, 03:11 AM
The clay bar is abrasive and will cut off anything above paint level. That`s how it removes contaminants! I use the touchup paint from the dealer. It is thick. That`s why I recommend a toothpick and not the brush that comes with it.

Mr_Elusive
02-21-2006, 05:24 AM
The touch up paint I have is from my local paint shop and is pretty thin. I will try the claybar method. It sounds like it should work pretty well.

2006Z33
02-24-2006, 09:50 AM
let us know how it goes, I noticed a chip on my fender yesterday :/

Mr_Elusive
04-30-2006, 11:43 AM
Sorry it took so long to reply but I`m happy to say that the clay bar method REALLY WORKS! The clay took the excess paint off and left the surface like brand new, everyone should try this before wetsanding.

ssgohan434
04-30-2006, 01:54 PM
any before or after pictures? :cry: