PDA

View Full Version : Anyone currently layering Klasse SG and NXT?

racingbeat
02-19-2006, 07:02 PM
Broke out the Klasse twins this weekend. Thought about using the NXT in between layers of SG on my current annual layering project. Usually I just stick with the Sonus Acrylic spritz to even out the SG but I wondered if NXT would do the job the spritz does.

Anyone currently doing this or have recently?

Here`s my last layering project. 30 layers of SG applied over one month.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/789000-789999/789415_21_full.jpg

Nov. 2004

Rolla
02-20-2006, 09:36 AM
Looks very nice! NXT has cleaners in it and so will not layer over KSG. Try using something like S100, Megs #16, Nattys Blue, etc etc.

Neo62381
02-20-2006, 11:14 AM
As Rolla said, you`d be wasting a LOT of time.

White95Max
02-20-2006, 12:57 PM
NXT has cleaners, so it would clean off some or all of the previous SG. So you can`t apply NXT over SG.

SG is said to be picky about bonding to things other than AIO or bare paint. So you can`t apply SG over NXT.

I really doubt that you have 30 layers of SG on your car. I believe that you did 30 *applications* of SG. You can only build up so many layers. This reminds me of someone that said they had over 100 layers of Zaino. :rolleyes:

sQuashed
02-20-2006, 01:09 PM
OCD all the way !!! 30 layers of SG :bigups

beastie
02-20-2006, 01:58 PM
Hi (wasn`t it Oscar?),

I had 5-6 layers of SG and then topped with NXT on my Miata. I was initially underwhelmed by the NXT. It began to look better as I added more layers of NXT (I believe I got up to 5). It`s a different look, with a little more softer carnauba look. I allowed the NXT a week to cure before adding another layer. Sooner than that, NXT doesn`t seem to fully bloom or look its best. I much preferred juat AIO/SG. NXT is very OTC stuff, I just don`t think that it is in the same league as Klasse.

I don`t recall if you`ve tried S100. WIth silver, you can use AIO/S100. I don`t like that combo on my metallic blue Miata but it is my fave for silver. I`ve tried S100 SEC/S100 wax and that is a very good looking combo on my car and lighter colors. Since you seem to like pampering your car, you may not mind the relatively short life of S100 of 2-3 weeks. Try spit shining the S100 if you go that way!!!

racingbeat
02-20-2006, 05:29 PM
yep its me of previous Miata ownership.

hmmm. didn`t know NXT was a polish. I thought it was just a sealant. I`ve only used it on my wheels since it first came out last year.

S100 is my preferred Carnauba. I have to agree that AIO/S100 does look much better than layering the Klasse. Actually the shine from AIO alone is terrific. But during this winter I need to seal. And its been a while since I did any significant layering of SG. AIO/SG/S100 looks a bit distorted to me.

By the way, the 30 layers of SG were applied with at least 24 hours in between each layer. Doesn`t a single layer or application of SG last several months? I doubt I wouldhave lost any of the layers in only one month. I think an exec from Klasse said in an interview that he`d seen many cars over the years with 30-50 layers of SG.

you might enjoy this Beastie. Someone posted it on the Porsche list.

Miata at the Porsche club track day.

http://www.crossroadvideos.com/video/95FC4CEA-FB1B-49E6-A874-F9F90A127AD3.htm

White95Max
02-20-2006, 06:07 PM
NXT is not a polish. It`s merely a sealant/wax that contains cleaners. It`s a typical OTC product. The average consumer thinks that wax is what brings back the shine on a car. They`re wrong, but the manufacturers put cleaners in most of their waxes for this reason. It becomes a one-step product, although the cleaners usually aren`t that strong.

Whether you allowed 24hrs between coats or not, you can only build up so many layers of LSP. Do you think you make the car an inch taller if you applied enough SG?

racingbeat
02-20-2006, 06:49 PM
well in theory you could.

If you applied many many layers of varnish to a wooden door, after a certain number of layers over time, the door would not close properly.

obviously wood varnish and a sealant glaze are of different densities. Without exposure to elements, 365 layers of SG would still only be microns in thickness. But it would still be 365 layers. Whether you can see a difference between 3 layers and 300 is up to the observer.

atticdog
02-20-2006, 06:54 PM
I believe this is where the quote of 30 layers is from

Interview with Klasse (http://www.properautocare.com/inwiklusa.html)

White95Max
02-20-2006, 06:58 PM
But it would still be 365 layers. Whether you can see a difference between 3 layers and 300 is up to the observer.

I`ll believe it when I see microscope photos showing layers, or an extremely accurate paint thickness gauge demonstrating an increase in depth to metal for each "layer".

Tasty
02-20-2006, 07:20 PM
I`ll believe it when I see microscope photos showing layers, or an extremely accurate paint thickness gauge demonstrating an increase in depth to metal for each "layer".

Yeah, and I think it has been argued that trying to layer NXT is useless. I believe it "cleans" itself off. I think layering is probably a mental thing. A placebo of sorts, and is done just so someone can say they have 5, 10, or 30 layers of whatever on their car. I love detailing as much as the next Autopian, but come on...

Scottwax
02-20-2006, 08:28 PM
Yeah, and I think it has been argued that trying to layer NXT is useless. I believe it "cleans" itself off. I think layering is probably a mental thing. A placebo of sorts, and is done just so someone can say they have 5, 10, or 30 layers of whatever on their car. I love detailing as much as the next Autopian, but come on...

It may have been argued but not proven. ;)

NXT`s cleaners are very light and if you apply two layers you will have more product on the paint than just one layer. NXT was also tweaked for VOC compliance and my understanding is that improved durability.

Honestly though, the only reason I`d use two layers of anything is to make sure I have complete coverage. I definitely agree that there is no way to tell 100% that any product layers and actually builds a multi-layer film of protection. When someone puts 100 layers on (I guess with ZFX you could do 3 layers of Zaino a day) over a month (or 1 layer a day for 100 days with SG or Acrylic Jett) and it actually shows up as increased thickness with a paint thickness gauge, then I will believe.

Regardless, racingbeat`s Boxster looks incredible! :bow

Mikeman
03-04-2006, 02:34 PM
Interesting thread......I especially liked the link to the Klasse USA interview. They recommend a DAMP applicator for SG!! Why don`t they put that on the instructions, like they do for AIO? I`ve known SG goes on/off well with a damp applicator, but reasoned that diluting the product couldn`t be a good thing; or they would specify DAMP in the instructions. Ah well.....

Moving on to layering of NXT, again with my logical reasoning, which may be faulty as in my SG thinking above. If NXT has any cleaners at all in it, how can a second layer do anything positive, assuming the first layer covered well? These cleaners would clean off the first layer of NXT, leaving you right where you were when you started applying the second layer. I guess if the cleaners only cleaned off, say half of the first layer, you would have 1.5 layers of NXT; but I wouldn`t consider that time well spent.

For the same reasons, layering NXT over SG is a waste of time IMO. The other way around might be OK. That is, if the SG bonds well to NXT.

Mikeman out.