PDA

View Full Version : Is a glaze necessary? I am officially confused!

Pages : [1] 2

wickedwrx02
02-19-2006, 03:25 PM
I`m trying to get the nicest shine out of my daily driver. I have a car show this weekend and I need it in top shape. I think I have all my steps planned except the glaze issue. I`m kinda on the fence on this issue. The car is a `02 WRX in sedona red(its a dark red almost maroon metallic). It has light to medium swirls and some minor scratching. Here is the process I`m going with so far:

Wash with FK 118

Clay

Start with SSR 1, SSR2.5 may be needed on some spots

WG Pre Wax polish enhancer or AIO (still undecided on this too).

WG Deep Gloss Paint Sealant X-2 or 3 depending on time

Pinnacle souveran with one more coat "spit shined"

Should I throw in #7 after the Polish Enhancer? Will it noticeably deepen the gloss and shine of the WG/Souveran? Anyone tried WG glaze, would it be a better choice instead of #7?

I am officially confused! :wall

specs
02-19-2006, 04:04 PM
because #7 has alot of oils, it may be difficult for the sealant to bond to it.

post some pics of the rex when youre done.

:D

DM101
02-19-2006, 04:14 PM
I would throw in Red Moose Glaze right brfore the sealant. Keep in mind some of these products need to cure before topping them. IMHO

pt91
02-19-2006, 04:25 PM
If it were me and my show car was black, I would skip the WG sealant and do RMG then Souveran.

I did it both ways on my car for shows and the WG sealant only added some protection IMO.

Either way, it will look great!

RAG
02-19-2006, 06:31 PM
Clay then Polish with SSR 1 or 2 (both will finish down nicely), apply a glaze to give nice wet look and temporarily cover up some remaining swirls, and top with a coat of two of Souveran of NB. That`t all you need. Since you are going to a show, go with a glaze + beauty wax...you can apply a sealant for durability/protection later.

imported_SHICKS
02-19-2006, 06:48 PM
Your process sounds pretty good, but if you have swirls, I would skip right to the SSR 2.5.

I have not had very good luck with SSR1. I can`t seem to get it to do anything. It does clean up SSR 2.5, but I have not used much of it in a year, can`t seem to find the right use for it.

wickedwrx02
02-19-2006, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the help!

I`ll let you know how it came out and post some pics Saturday.

klnyc
02-19-2006, 07:06 PM
You can use #80 or RMG, but #7 does have more oil than those 2 I mentioned. I still have like 90% left on meg #7, I didnt bother with it much(3 years I had it)

wickedwrx02
02-20-2006, 01:00 PM
Well the parts store didn`t have #7 so I picked up the 3M Imperial hand glaze. I`ll give it a shot. I`ve never worked with glazes so hopefully this goes well. Any special tips when using a glaze? Can I put a coat of AIO down before I apply it or will the glaze remove it?

DM101
02-20-2006, 01:06 PM
IMHO AIO is going to do nothing to enhance the finish. Just go with the 3M and keep it simple.

wickedwrx02
02-20-2006, 02:04 PM
I just did a comparison on my old spoiler. WOW! This stuff is hard to get off. I had to use QD to remove the glaze but it does look good! I did one half with AIO and glaze and just glaze on the other. I topped them both with Souveran. The AIO/glaze side is BARELY deeper. Not enough difference to need to AIO the whole car.

By the way is there a cure time for the 3M glaze? I think I went a little too heavy or worked it in too long because it was a PITA to get off. It says hand glaze and I applied it with a PC, would that make a difference?

jmsc
02-20-2006, 02:58 PM
Many years ago Larry R. at CarCareOnline told me not to use a PC to apply IHG. Something in the formula and a PC but can`t remember. You may want to call 3M and ask them directly. Mother`s Sealant & Glaze would have been a better choice. Available locally, easier to work with (on/off), PC compatible, cheaper and just as good a look as IHG.

wickedwrx02
02-20-2006, 04:32 PM
Many years ago Larry R. at CarCareOnline told me not to use a PC to apply IHG. Something in the formula and a PC but can`t remember. You may want to call 3M and ask them directly. Mother`s Sealant & Glaze would have been a better choice. Available locally, easier to work with (on/off), PC compatible, cheaper and just as good a look as IHG.

Yeah the IHG was not cheap but it was the only thing my local parts shop carried. It was that or a 35min. drive to the next store.

I think when I get ready to do the whole car I`ll keep the PC on 1. Hopefully this will solve the problem of wiping it off. Either way it looks great. The glase just gave it that instant depth. I am really impressed.

DM101
02-20-2006, 04:50 PM
IHG is a very good product. You just applied it to heavy. No time to cure. One section at a time.

RAG
02-20-2006, 05:49 PM
I see that you have already replied since, but I was going to tell you IHG is really hard to use, especially if you apply it too think. I hate the Meguiars and 3M glazes - they are miserable to work with. After using RMG, I`ll never go back. Personally, I`d skip the glaze step unelss you can order some VM or RGM.