PDA

View Full Version : New Black 4Runner

Pages : [1] 2

ellsworb
02-18-2006, 06:46 PM
Well. . I`ve been lurking here for a while, and now here I am with my new 2006 Toyota 4Runner SR5. . BLACK. . .I love it. Asked the dealer NOT to wash it before delivery, in fact, I DEMANDED he not wash it. Well, guess what they did, they washed it; and proceeded to just swirl the sh*t out of it. I couldn`t believe it. Delivered it to me in the evening and asked him to pull it under the overhang of a gas station. I couldn`t believe my eyes. Anyway, I`m looking to detail it myself. I`m not TOTALLY sure how deep the swirls are, but I THINK they are light-moderate. Therefor, here`s the process I`m looking at:

:buffing:

Wash

Clay

Wash

SSR 2 or 2.5 (can`t decide) via PC

VM via PC

NB paste

I guess i`m mostly concerned about the SSR2 being "enough" to get the swirls out. What do you all think? Anyone with experience specific to TOYOTA paint?

Thanks, the archives here are amazing, I always have something to read!

Sarcazmo
02-18-2006, 08:45 PM
I wouldn`t be afraid to use 2.5. I just used it on my silver scion hood to get some swirls out.

RAG
02-18-2006, 09:05 PM
Congratulations on your new black Toyota, and welcome to the madness. Though I don`t own a black vehicle, I`ve detailed a ton of `em. No matter how careful you are, you are gonna get some wash swirls.

Too the point. I do own a toyota...only thing you have to keep in mind is that they have a reputation for having thin paint. But don`t worry, removing too much paint won`t be a real big issue with a Porter Cable. Regarding you polish choice, SSRs are my least favorite on a PC, as even though the abrasive particles break down quickly, they are large and often leave slight marring. It`s hard to say what polish to use, but I think a good polish with SSR 2 will suffice, as you are going to get more marring soon enough. But you`ll have to experiment and see what does the job, but from here on out, you won`t be able to remove all the defects in your paint or you`ll run out of paint. I`d aim for 80% defect removal each time you polish. Good luck.

RAG
02-18-2006, 09:08 PM
Oh yeah. Do not waste your time washing after you clay - absolutely no need.

Sam Funteas
02-19-2006, 04:30 AM
I was in the same boat as you last month. I bought a 2006 black 4runner that was swirl city from the dealer. I did the following using a PC:

Menzerna IP with white LC pad

Menzerna FPII with white LC pad

The finsh was perfect at this point under a halogen light.

I then followed it with Red Machine Glaze with a black pad and topped it off with NB paste. I also applied AIO to the roof followed by NB paste.

These steps worked very well for me. Depending on how deep your swirls are you may need to make extra passes with the porter cable to get them all out. Be patient and your combo should work very well.

General Lee
02-19-2006, 06:32 AM
I have a 05 Runner in Startasphere Mica, its a dark blue. They squeezed in a wash at delivery before I could get to them. The truck still had the plastic on the roof and and hood, needless to say they screwed it all up.

Anyway, my 05 has very soft paint. It gets swirled and scratched easy. I have found 2.5 and Menzerna usually does the trick. Good luck

imported_Neothin
02-19-2006, 08:17 AM
If you want to stick with the ssr series of polishes, start out by using ssr1 on a polishing pad, then step up to a light cut pad. if that doesn`t work, use ssr2 on a polishing. I just have a hard time visualizing one bad wash as creating enough swirls that ssr2 is warranted. If you had optimum, just use the polish for a while and you`ll be fine.

ellsworb
02-19-2006, 09:06 AM
OK y`all. . after speaking with RAG :hifive: a bit, I think this is the approach i`m going to take:

Wash

Clay

OP via PC

VM via PC

RMG via PC

CMW

thanks for all your help y`all, and I`ll be posting pics for sure.

Brandon

WSUcommuter
02-19-2006, 09:15 AM
If you specified they do not wash and "prep" the vehicle, and they already broke that promise to you, what other things will they do against your wishes if you ever use their services in the future?

I`d tell them no deal, just my opinion... or take it to another dealership in the future.

ellsworb
02-19-2006, 09:18 AM
WSU. . you`re absolutely right, and I completely agree. But I was in some dire circumstances. My other car blew up, and I`m TDY right now. Well, i needed a car. The swirl marks weren`t gonna be a deal breaker, as I know i won`t be using the dealer for anything. But yea, I was pissed, but in a corner. What can ya do. . ah well.

WSUcommuter
02-19-2006, 07:22 PM
I hear you. I make no mistake about my anti-stealership sentiments :)

RAG
02-19-2006, 07:31 PM
I too am anti-dealership - they lie more than they tell the truth. Just when I thought I had found a good one - they screwed me on my Lancruiser purchase.

No need to apply both VM and RMG in my opinion - very redundant (and if you can see a difference, you`re already a better detailer than me). Just go with RMG after OP and then NB or whatever other LSP you choose to use. But really focus on the polishing step, as this is the most important by far!

Let me know how it turns out.

96GSR
02-20-2006, 11:04 AM
Just curious...is it totally necessary to clay a brand new vehicle? I have a new Pilot and I am going to use Z2 after first wash. If the paint feels smooth after washing, should I just go straight to the Zaino?? I cannot notice any swirl marks or other paint defects. I requested that the dealer not wash the car and apparently they listened.

ellsworb
02-20-2006, 11:52 AM
Well, i know MINE needs it, just after the simple "rub of the hand" test. . i know the paint should be smoother thn that. . its got 1000 miles on it now. .

On a side note, is anyone here from Oklahoma? What is the deal with SAND on the roads and not salt? Holy crap, half the paint on my trailer is GONE after going about 300 miles last night. . i couldn`t belive it. . it had been SAND BLASTED!!!! ahhh. . :wall :wall

RAG
02-20-2006, 05:41 PM
96GSR, claying a new vehicle depends. IMO they usually need to be clayed. But the best way to tell is to put you hand in a plastic bag (any plastic bag) and rub your finger tips along the surface. If it glass smooth, than you good to go. Otherwise, clay. Simple huh?