PDA

View Full Version : anyone use cyclo pads with exceldetail 3" backing plate? (pics)

BigAl3
02-18-2006, 03:24 PM
i was at the local detail shop today and noticed they had the cyclo pads that are the same size as the propel 4" pads, but just a little less thicker. has anyone used a cyclo pad with the exceldetail 3" backing plate? while i`m still going to order pads from exceldetail, it`s nice to know that if i`m in a bind, i can get these locally. below are pics with the backing plate on it. sorry for the pic quality, i need to get a new digi cam. :(

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/thumbs/IM000111.JPG http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/thumbs/IM000112.JPG

BigAl3
02-18-2006, 08:44 PM
here`s some info from the website on the pads.

green polishing pad - recommended applications: sealant, paint polish,

paint cleaner, metal sealant.

white finishing pad - recommended applications: extreme shine, final

wax buff, wax application, sealant, metal sealant.

still curious on them as i`ve never used them... so i`m guessing the green pad would be good for aio, colorx, etc... and the white for lsp. :nixweiss

White95Max
02-18-2006, 09:35 PM
Whichever one is denser would be used for polishes. I think as long as the pad has velcro on the back, and it`s wider than the backing plate, there won`t be a problem. Of course that`s assuming that the foam is soft enough to be safe on the paint.

BigAl3
02-18-2006, 09:52 PM
Whichever one is denser would be used for polishes. I think as long as the pad has velcro on the back, and it`s wider than the backing plate, there won`t be a problem. Of course that`s assuming that the foam is soft enough to be safe on the paint.

that`s what i was thinking as well. it`s just that, i`ve never used a cyclo pad on a pc before, so i don`t know what to expect. thanks for the reply white95max.

a.k.a. Patrick
02-18-2006, 09:59 PM
Be cautious when using any small pad on a PC. I prefer to pick up some of the weight while random polishing. Adjust your technique somewhat when switching from 6.5/7" to 4"......

BigAl3
02-18-2006, 10:01 PM
Be cautious when using any small pad on a PC. I prefer to pick up some of the weight while random polishing. Adjust your technique somewhat when switching from 6.5/7" to 4"......

thanks patrick. hopefully soon, i will be doing an order with you! ;)

Accumulator
02-19-2006, 09:01 AM
I`ve used the Cyclo 4" pads/3" plate combo many, many times both by PC and rotary. Works great, in fact it`s the only way I do paint correction with the PC. It`s also my preferred means of dealing with RIDS via rotary (I usually just keep the rotary set up with the smaller backing plate).

I use the 6" counterweight in the PC with this combo.

The green pads are pretty unimpressive looking, but they work well for me, even on the Jag`s soft paint. The yellow cutting pads start fairly aggressive but seem to wear quickly; they stay in one piece but lose their cut and become somewhat milder. The white pads last forever if you only use them with very mild products and LSPs.

Be sure to pick out any little pieces of velcro, especially on the white ones. The foam of Cyclo pads is often polluted with little shavings from where the cut the velcro backing and I wouldn`t want to grind it into the paint.

BigAl3
02-19-2006, 09:46 AM
I`ve used the Cyclo 4" pads/3" plate combo many, many times both by PC and rotary. Works great, in fact it`s the only way I do paint correction with the PC. It`s also my preferred means of dealing with RIDS via rotary (I usually just keep the rotary set up with the smaller backing plate).

I use the 6" counterweight in the PC with this combo.

The green pads are pretty unimpressive looking, but they work well for me, even on the Jag`s soft paint. The yellow cutting pads start fairly aggressive but seem to wear quickly; they stay in one piece but lose their cut and become somewhat milder. The white pads last forever if you only use them with very mild products and LSPs.

Be sure to pick out any little pieces of velcro, especially on the white ones. The foam of Cyclo pads is often polluted with little shavings from where the cut the velcro backing and I wouldn`t want to grind it into the paint.

thanks accumulator for the info. :)