PDA

View Full Version : Foam Gun vs. Pressure Washer

DocHoliday
02-18-2006, 10:10 AM
So I am debating between the two.

Now before everyone jumps on my for being a newb I have been detailing since 2000 and do get weekend business in the summer so I do know a thing or two about detailing although sometimes I might seem scatterbrained, thats just me. :2thumbs:

So I have been lurking for years on various forums and noticed all the rage now seems to be these foam guns and I was thinking about picking one up or picking up a pressure washer.

I like the pressure washer because I can set it on high and stand far away and let it rip and basically blow the dust and dirt off from a distance so it creates a mist of water. Plus I can use it to blast away in fender wells and when I get those big ole trucks with mud all over them. Plus Im like Alton Brown on the food channel, I like multi taskers I can use a pressure washer for so many more applications. Why should I get a foam gun? Convince me.

brwill2005
02-18-2006, 10:13 AM
A pressure washer serves many purposes that a foam gun does not. I think both have a place in one`s detailing arsenal. Personally, I have never had any marring using natural sea sponges.

Neo62381
02-18-2006, 11:16 AM
Take a read on that poll that I started, it seems to be pretty much on the same lines of what you are asking. A lot of good opinions. But from what everyone else is going crazy about, and from my own personal experience, get the gun!

RCBuddha
02-18-2006, 11:21 AM
A pressure washer serves many purposes that a foam gun does not. I think both have a place in one`s detailing arsenal.

:werd:

I plan on getting both, I think they both will make washing vehicles much easier.

DocHoliday
02-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Take a read on that poll that I started, it seems to be pretty much on the same lines of what you are asking. A lot of good opinions. But from what everyone else is going crazy about, and from my own personal experience, get the gun!link???????

ZaneO
02-18-2006, 12:05 PM
They are really two different animals with different purposes.

Bill D
02-18-2006, 12:31 PM
They are really two different animals with different purposes.

I have both. The only automotive surfaces I would touch with a pressure washer would be undercarriages, wheel wells, and, if severe enough, wheels. Paint? No sir. I couldn`t bring myself to possibly really abrading dirt into the clear or who knows what other kind of disaster. If a vehicle is severely dirty, I`ll take a deep breath and get prepared for a long, tedious washing session with the foam gun.

Neo62381
02-18-2006, 01:02 PM
linky (http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67397)

there ya go

Accumulator
02-18-2006, 01:40 PM

I have both. The only automotive surfaces I would touch with a pressure washer would be undercarriages..

Same here, but I`ve only run into *one* undercarriage (never-cleaned 30 year old Jag) that I used the pressure washer on. It`s simply not something I use on vehicles. But I use the foamguns at every wash.

Bill D
02-18-2006, 03:47 PM
Accumulator,

I sure wish another manufacturer would somehow re introduce that handy undercarriage cleaning gadget you have. :(

klnyc
02-18-2006, 04:05 PM
How many oz you use on the Gilmousr foam gun?

imported_Neothin
02-18-2006, 10:27 PM
I typically use 5-6 ounces of car wash soap per gallon of solution that I put into the gun`s reservoir.

The Big Kahuna
02-21-2006, 04:39 PM
my vote is pressure washer hands down. I have both and rarely use the foam gun, but consistantly use the pressure washer.