PDA

View Full Version : Need To Know What I Am Doing Wrong

Josh1
02-17-2006, 02:56 PM
I washed my car today and claybared most of it. Then I tried using SSR2.5 at first using a white pad. I put the product on car and then ran it at 1 to smear it in. I then bumped it up slowly until I finally got to 6. I did the area for about 10min. then stopped and wiped off. Nothing happened, it still looked like it did before using. I then tried Optimum polish with a yellow pad. Nothing happened either even at 6 and doing the area for 10min. I then tried SSR2.5 with the yellow pad. Same thing. I just want to know what I am doing wrong. The swirls were really bad, but not as bad as some people cars I have seen with lots of oxidation.

Scottwax
02-17-2006, 03:56 PM
Pics and type of car would help.

How much pressure are you applying with the PC? If you are just using the weight of the machine, you won`t get anything out of your polishing.

imported_Neothin
02-17-2006, 10:05 PM
how big of an area were you working? What kind of car (aka, is the paint hard?). 10 minutes for SSR2.5, yikes! maybe you don`t see an improvement because all you were doing was dry polishing and therefore inducing more marring. How fast were you moving the PC? Slow movements are your friend!

Setec Astronomy
02-17-2006, 10:20 PM
I`m with Scott, I think it`s the pressure thing. I could never do any defect removal until I learned that you have to apply significant pressure.

BigAl3
02-17-2006, 10:30 PM
I`m with Scott, I think it`s the pressure thing. I could never do any defect removal until I learned that you have to apply significant pressure.

that`s how i learned as well. good amount of pressure and slow overlapping passes...

Josh1
02-20-2006, 04:16 AM
Well I applied more pressure and tried it out on the roof were there were more noticeable marks. It took out everyone you could see by just looking, but still some that show up in light. I tried out SSR2.5 and was not very impressed. I think I liked the Optimum better. I will have to try again and see what happens. There still seems to be scratches though, and it is driving me crazy because I took 2hrs. on the roof with just little results when other people are doing the same thing I am doing and works sooner then that. I even went really slow moving the pc and also did back and forth and side to side motions. I just feel like I am just wasting the product because I keep having to use it over and over to see if it will work and it does not. I did make the paint brighter and take out the swirl marks that showed up without light. If I try it again and it does not work it looks like I will have to find a pro in my area to start me off on a clean slate.

Josh1
02-20-2006, 04:18 AM
Forgot to tell you it is a Ford Lightning. Black paint that is 6 years old. It is very shiny and reflective, but not swirl and scratch free. I will try to have some pics up if I get time and the day.

Josh1
02-20-2006, 04:33 AM
Also, forgot to mention that when using the PC on my paint, it seemed like the pads started turning black. Is this bad? Also, how do you know if you have gone to far in the paint? I have seen people post about going to far could cause problems, but how do you know or see?

imported_Neothin
02-20-2006, 07:47 AM
Did you clay the car before you started polishing? Ford is a a clearcoated paint, and shouldn`t be turning the pad black.

Setec Astronomy
02-20-2006, 08:00 AM
I think the "black" on your pad is probably just embedded dirt that is coming out. Josh, be aware that if you can feel the scratches with your fingernail, you will probably be removing too much clearcoat to take them out completely.

Mr.Magic
02-20-2006, 08:03 AM
if you use the Optimum polish and that did not work try the Optimum compound and then the polish works well for me. O and a Yellow Pad.

titsataki
02-21-2006, 10:53 AM
yup keep playing with the different pads and different polishes. Use it slowly apply some pressure and only do a small area. The good part with the small area is you would be able to compare with the rest of the panel. Take maybe a good quality pic before and after under strong light (fluorecent or the sun maybe). There are many knowledgable people here that will help.

cheers

Nick