PDA

View Full Version : Best products/process to clean and polish aluminum wheels?

DIESEL RACER
02-16-2005, 09:48 AM
On my personal truck (see pics) the factory aluminum wheels are oxidizing and starting to dull. I was wondering what product(s) you guys would recommend to polish them back to a mirror finish? Or if it`s even possible to get them back? What`s the best process to use?

The wheels appear to be clear coated from the factory if that makes a difference. The coating is starting to flake off.

Any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ken

G35stilez
02-16-2005, 11:39 AM
I use Flitz Metal Polish (Ace Hardware or www.premiumautocare.com) with a terry applicator (more bite than MF). You will probably need 1 applicator per rim. I remove with an MF towel.

Of the 3 or 4 metal polishes I have tried, this one has superceded in all aspects.

It will work on painted/clearcoated surfaces as well, but if you have a general paint polish, that would work as well.

As far as clearcoat chipping, you will need them refinished from a body shop first. The polish is only going to abrade the clear away even more.

Bill D
02-16-2005, 05:36 PM
I`m a big fan of Flitz as well as P21s mutli surface restorer :bigups

probegt
02-16-2005, 09:51 PM
I personally like Meguiars All Metal Polish #28.

mtmaher1
02-16-2005, 10:48 PM
if the clear is already chipping the only way to get a really good mirror finish is to use a stripper and strip off the clear. Your can use something like zip strip, or i think its called aviation stripper. The aluminum under that will be in good shape and then you can polish it with your favorite metal polish. Then you can use a sealer wax on it to help hold the shine longer

DIESEL RACER
02-17-2005, 06:33 PM
Is stripping the clear off something that I can do myself? (basic detailing knowledge), and can I polish the rims back to a mirror finish, or is that something best left to a professional?