PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for Pads and Polishes

bunkeroo26
02-16-2006, 08:36 AM
Okay guys, I am VERY new to all of this.

Basically the last year I have been neglecting my 2003 honda civic BLACK. Well, I came into some quick money last weekend, and got the items to give my car a makeover. Well, after a quick wash (it really wasn`t adequate) and a quick hand wax I fell in love. I have even bought a PC and this is where I have come up short on ideas.

I am very amiss when it comes to polishes and waxes and using the PC. I really need a suggestion for some compounds that are not too aggressive, and maybe a good liquid wax, and glaze. I really dont know what I need... I just would like some suggestions. My paint is in decent condition with only a few areas that need polishing where car doors have hit my doors in parking lots. I dont think that I need to polish by PC yet, but if I should i`m more than willing to.

My parents vehicles are in worse condition paint wise, so a PC run with polish might be appropriate.

Also, I am looking into a Wet Dry Vac so that I can shampoo the carpets and then vacuum up the wetness. Would I be better off getting a portable shampooer? This is what I am looking at http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=Products_2%2fPower+Tools%2fWet-Dry+Vacs,+Dust+Collection%2fCorded+Wet-Dry+Vacs&BV_SessionID=@@@@1400001159.1140103086@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccedaddhddligedcgelceffdfgidgnk.0&MID=9876

It changes to blower so that I can blow out all the crevices.

Any suggestions please are helpful.

bunkeroo26
02-16-2006, 11:42 AM
any ideas

/bump

Sarcazmo
02-16-2006, 05:50 PM
I really like Poorboy`s polishes. I did my buddy`s black silverado with Poorboys 2.5 and a yellow excel pad. It did a great job.

As far as wax... Souveran seems to be the best wax for black, but it`s quite expensive. Most people (Myself included) really like Natty`s blue. Makes dark cars look great.

Scottwax
02-16-2006, 06:48 PM
Trust me, use the PC to polish the paint. You get a deeper and much more even polishing session by PC. Take it from someone who detailed cars professionally by hand for 10 years. Last two years I`ve been using the PC and I could never go back to detailing by hand.

My normal black paint combo is Optimum Polish (if needed), Vanilla Moose and finish with Carnauba Moose or Natty`s Blue. I have lately been using Jeff Werkstatt`s Carnauba Jett too.

ArABONE
02-16-2006, 07:56 PM
Sorry to go off topic but can u use zaino`s polishes more then once like they say?

Im confused becouse on this site the guides tell u that polishes remove like 50% of ur clear coat. Thank for your help.

Scottwax
02-16-2006, 08:07 PM
Sorry to go off topic but can u use zaino`s polishes more then once like they say?

Im confused becouse on this site the guides tell u that polishes remove like 50% of ur clear coat. Thank for your help.

http://www.scottwax.com/rice/videos/smilies/ugh2.gif The internet can be a font of misinformation.

Even via rotary, you have either be very careless or do it intentionally to make a measurable decrease in clear coat thickness. By hand or PC, very little clearcoat is removed. You won`t be able to even measure it with a paint thickness gauge.

ArABONE
02-16-2006, 08:13 PM
So i can put on as many coats of zaino as i want? BTW thanks for replying because Ive spent a good part of 3 days researchin and am still VERY confused on what to do with my black car.

imported_Neothin
02-16-2006, 08:57 PM
I don`t think that I would recommend Zaino to a new detailer. The sealants in the Zaino system do really well with a pretty much perfect surface prep. Application needs to be just right, etc etc. I`d go for something more "mainstream" so to say. poorboy`s polishes work really well via pc, so do the menzerna polishes. I`d add a bottle of clearkote`s red moose machine glaze to your arsenal also. This will give a deep dark look to the paint, plus it will cover up most of the minor swirls that you may leave behind. Top with a carnauba wax. the choices here are LOTS.

Lowejackson
02-17-2006, 04:17 AM
Have a look at the Autopia book http://www.guidetodetailing.com/articlenoheader.php?articleId=58 it is a great place to start

bunkeroo26
02-17-2006, 08:59 AM
Thanks Lowe, I`ve already read that guide several times. But, its really difficult to ick out the needed information. Basically I was unsure of what polishes would not be too aggresive for a rookie to use with a PC.

I think I am buying a bottle of optimum polish, some red moose, poorboy`s 2.5 and some natty`s blue.

Currently I am just washing and hand waxing with mequiar`s NXT paste. I really like the NXT and how easy it is to use, so I might use that also in liquid form of course with the PC.

But, I`m still unsure about pads. There is such a large selection. I know I need several whites and several yellows. But I am also looking at the Black and/or red ones for final finishing. Any feedback on the black or red pads?

Thanks

Alfisti
02-17-2006, 09:09 AM
Currently I am just washing and hand waxing with mequiar`s NXT paste. I really like the NXT and how easy it is to use, so I might use that also in liquid form of course with the PC.

You can use a paste wax with a PC pad by using something to *butter* the pad with the wax, then apply it with the PC. A little goes a long way.

But I am also looking at the Black and/or red ones for final finishing. Any feedback on the black or red pads?

Either one is fine. At that final level its more marketing than substance. :bigups