PDA

View Full Version : do you apply your lsp by hand or machine?

Pages : [1] 2

BigAl3
02-15-2006, 11:25 PM
do you prefer by hand or machine and why? do you feel in your experience that the machine works it in better, etc...

Wasatch
02-15-2006, 11:28 PM
I do everything by hand. I do not mind doing it that way, maybe someday I will get a PC, but I really do not care if I have one or not.

clnfrk
02-15-2006, 11:30 PM
I prefer to do it by hand because I can get in hard to reach places alot better without getting product all over trim and moldings. I currently use SG topped with S100 and I don`t see how anyone could apply these two products by machine.

Mark77
02-16-2006, 12:00 AM
Same here. I only use my Cyclo to remove swirls. Everything else I do by hand. Much more control over the product that way IMO. LSPs are usually very easy to spread out so I don`t see the point of using a machine for this.

SpoiledMan
02-16-2006, 12:08 AM
You can lay an incredibly thin layer of 845 down with the propel blues and the Cyclo!

pt91
02-16-2006, 05:35 AM
LSPs by machine whenever possible. More uniform and faster for me.

I use the PC or my little battery operated Nikota "polisher" with 4" pads.

My cyclo arrives today so I will try that as well.

cwcad
02-16-2006, 05:51 AM
It depends on wether or not I have the PC out already. If I am doing paint correction then often I use the PC to apply my LSP if in liquid form. I tried once to use a paste with a PC. Did not like the handling of the product to get it on the pad. So I never use the PC for any paste wax.

If all I am doing is layering a product most likely it would be done by hand.

BobD
02-16-2006, 06:08 AM
You can lay an incredibly thin layer of 845 down with the propel blues and the Cyclo!

Amen to that! I have had much better outcomes with LSP`s since I went to machine. Even with paste waxes...I usually apply a little paste wax on a panel but applicator and then spread it around with the machine.

Way2SSlow
02-16-2006, 07:05 AM
I apply sealants and liquid waxes by PC (except for tight areas that it wont fit, or where it may make a mess of trim) and all my paste waxes get applied by hand.

Accumulator
02-16-2006, 09:50 AM
KSG, UPP, BF, Souveran by hand.

Everything else by Cyclo, including paste waxes.

Primary removal by PC/Meg`s Ultimate Bonnets or Cyclo/TOL suede-style MF bonnets with a by-hand follow-up.

imported_chpsk8
02-16-2006, 11:49 AM
I apply my LSP by machine. I agree that you can put a very thin layer down using a machine. I feel that a machine allows me to get a more even coat and allows me to complete the job faster.

If you use S100 or Nattys I find it easier to take the product out of the container, then wipe it on the pad. I take the product out, wrap it in plastic wrap, and put it back in the container. I have a sponge I cut to fit the bottom of the container so I can put the product back in the container. It allows the product to sit above the top of the container so I can apply it easily.

I do the tight spots by hand of course. I also remove by hand only. Machine removal never works well for me. I find the bonnets load so fast that it is easier to just wipe it off. It helps that todays botique products being so easy to remove.

David Fermani
02-16-2006, 02:25 PM
I do it both ways. It depends on the car.

Lowejackson
02-16-2006, 03:11 PM
Generally by hand but a few weeks ago I was forced by the weather to use a PC to apply some Autoglym EGP. This was so successful that I might start to try more LSPs by PC

Scottwax
02-16-2006, 03:23 PM
Carnauba Moose and NXT by machine and the rest by hand. I can wax a car by hand much more quickly than by machine but CMW and NXT seem to work better via PC application.

mtwedt
02-16-2006, 04:02 PM
I just gave a new little gadget a shot for machine work....it is a WEN random orbital 4" polisher with something called Smart Start. It will take the 4" pad (hook and loop type) as well as a 6" polishing pad. The polisher came with a 4" and 6` white polishing pad, a brush for scrubbing (not for carpets though) a 4" wool pad (wouldn`t use on the car but might in the house) and several sanding discs. The polishing pads are acceptable as backing for my bonnets...I have short and medium nap MF`s and terry ones. It is single speed and has this Smart Start feature that doesn`t start the polisher until it is on a surface and some pressure is applied....it shuts off if pressure is removed. There is a conventional on/off as well. I purchased it from Wholesale Tool on line for about 33 bucks. I like this little puppy. It is smaller size and lighter weight is more comfortable for my smaller hands and it can be gripped from the side or the top and can go into places with the smaller pads more easily. I gave it a try with some Quikshine and a short nap MF bonnet.....less work and better shine, on my windshield with some AutoGlym glass polish/short nap MF/remove with meduim nap MF...again less time and work and then took it to task against the tremendous amount of black trim moulding on my CR-V with them same type bonnets (all were over the 6" pad that came with the WEN). I mixed up a little "Pink Moose" (50/50 RMG/VM) for the front bumper, grill and hood protector. I had the Pink Moose on and off in less than 10 minutes. Lovely deep satin black finish when done. No sling with product applied to the pad and using the Smart Start feature. This hardly an essential piece of equipment but I got it as a treat to myself and really enjoyed it. It is much less hassle than putting the 3" backing plate on the PC (I had the horrendous experience of having the entire backing plate shoot right off the adapter for God knows why, but it has happened twice no matter how much I tighten things)