PDA

View Full Version : `67 Mustang wheel/engine help

FAST SVT
02-15-2006, 05:45 PM
I`m detailing a buddy`s cars soon and I went over there today to check out the paint and try to come up with a plan of attack. I`m doing the `67 first (and, yes, it is an original Shelby GT500). The paint is in REALLY good condition, so it doesn`t need much attention. I think the two biggest areas of concern are the wheels and engine. I was wondering what everyone thought would be a good approach for the wheels and engine (really just the carb and valve covers). The wheels are supposed to have that matte-like finish, so what should I use on them??

The carb and valve covers are aluminum, so I figured a good metal polish will suffice, right?

Thoughts?

emetzger
02-16-2006, 12:28 AM
Nice car. One of my favorites. Be careful using anything to harsh, those parts are worth some coin.

delta
02-16-2006, 01:53 AM
When I detailed my Dad`s KR, I used a tooth brush for those wheels. For some reason they were very "soft". The carb covers were usually painted black with a raised lines polished, so I really didn`t have to polish for shine. I would use never dull on the valve covers and anything that`s chrome under the engine. I know there are better metal polishes out there, but this was before I found autopia. Your friend is very lucky. Please post picks after you do the car........I would love to see them. Thanks in advance.

Pat

Rolla
02-16-2006, 08:37 AM
I would be too scared to use hard chemicals on those rims... I would try using whatever car wash soap you do use with a brush, then perhaps clay, polish and seal them.

I usually dilute Castrol superclean APC, but yea I would not use APC on there...

For the engine, a metal polish or AIO should work. Try it in a small area to check tho :). Post pics of the whole car when done and good luck!