PDA

View Full Version : How do I recondition soft plastic widows?

imported_SHICKS
02-15-2006, 05:15 PM
How do I recondition soft plastic widows?

My Dad has a fishing boat with quite a few of those windows, like on a jeep wrangler, only a little thicker.

What is the best way to make them look new again? I have the usual suspects, a PC, some polish, AIO, ect........

I doubt there are any deep scratches, just haze or swirls.

Thanks,

Steve

Bill D
02-15-2006, 05:29 PM
I used some AIO simply by hand on the rear window of a `92 500SL and I was impressed with the cleaning ability. I would proceed with caution if using a PC. Make sure the seams are strong enough to withstand the pressure and it`s probably a good idea to keep the speed low.

As for conditioning to get it softer, perhaps massaging in a quality dressing, such as 303, might do the trick. It might take a few applications.

brwill2005
02-15-2006, 06:13 PM
I would second AIO for plastic windows.

imported_SHICKS
02-15-2006, 06:14 PM
I don`t mean conditioning to make softer, but to remove blemishes. I think I can zip them out and put on a flat surface for polising.

Steve

I used some AIO simply by hand on the rear window of a `92 500SL and I was impressed with the cleaning ability. I would proceed with caution if using a PC. Make sure the seams are strong enough to withstand the pressure and it`s probably a good idea to keep the speed low.

As for conditioning to get it softer, perhaps massaging in a quality dressing, such as 303, might do the trick. It might take a few applications.

Bill D
02-15-2006, 06:16 PM
AIO would be first thing that comes to mind then.

imported_SHICKS
02-15-2006, 06:17 PM
I would second AIO for plastic windows.

I`ll give AIO a shot, but I wonder if I`ll need a little cutting power. I have not inspected the windows yet, he is meticulous about caring for his boat, so I am sure they are not too bad, they prob just need a little care.

Steve

Bill D
02-15-2006, 06:20 PM
If you do,perhaps, with some luck, the Novus polish system: #2 and/or #3 followed with the #1 spray. Or, more involved, would entail high numbered, hobby level sandpaper ( such as 3000grit and greater)

imported_SHICKS
02-15-2006, 06:28 PM
If you do,perhaps, with some luck, the Novus polish system: #2 and/or #3 followed with the #1 spray. Or, more involved, would entail high numbered, hobby level sandpaper ( such as 3000grit and greater)

I guess I was thinking of trying some SSR1 and a polishing pad. I have never detailed a plastic window, except when I had a wrangler, but a that point I was not a true autopian. I only knew not to scratch anytihing.

Steve

Mad iX
02-16-2006, 01:34 AM
AIO is good. Plexus is about as effective and easier to use if you have some.

If you need something stronger, then Poorboys Pro Polish and SSRs will work fine on plastic.

percynjpn
02-16-2006, 07:18 AM
AIO works fine, as do other paint polishes, and even cleaner waxes - I`d recommend doing it by hand with a cotton terry applicator.